New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    let me guess, ang panther mo assembled?, the engine/tranny are from a different car, the diffs also designed for a different car? pag hinatak mo sa highway top speed is not that fast and the engine sounds like exploding? if yes its because it was a mismatch, the diff gear ratio are too high that way your second gear is like first gear to normal cars. Or C240 engines are designed to carry big loads the first gear is used only when there is a lot of load being carried, if no load then 2nd gear is ok. Remember the C240 engine is primarily designed for the Isuzu elf, a light duty truck, put it in a Panther, as large as the former KC20 yoou can imagine how easy is it for the engine to carry the light weight. Even if 3rd gear if you just make the clutch slip even 4th most cars will move from stand still, yun lang sabi ni Ungas, the clutch will suffer.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Ungas
    Been there done that, I used to start on 2nd gear before. Until my clutch disc was worn out at only 30,000kms when it should have reached atleast 80,000kms before replacing them again.

:offtopic:

welcome back Mr. President

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Depende din iyan sa sasakyan. Generally, you should use first gear if from a dead stop.

But some vehicles (e.g. Mitsubishi Canter) have ridiculously low first gears (parang low range), that the easiest way to launch it smoothly is by using second. But do take note that in the case of the Canter, you would not be sliding the clutch for extended periods. Bitaw agad sa clutch pedal as if it was just first gear.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    NABUHAY SI UNGAS!!!!! hehehe

sunog clutch mo niyan sa 2nd-gear standing starts on pavement sa gas engine na 2.0 (kahit mas malaki pa). you'd need to slip the clutch like crazy to do that. lalo na kung honda hehehe. don't do it.
    Last edited by mbt; May 6th, 2005 at 11:27 PM.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by silhouette
    not on full stop! pwede kung pwede, but it will definitely cost you grand..ching ching.
    if rolling, ok lang. kasi may mga ride na design not to push sa 1st when rolling. ayaw kumagat. kaya timpla ka talaga.
    Tama!

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    what about for invecs (4-speed)? i noticed kasi na if you use the semi-manual mode, if from stop, pwedeng ilagay sa 2 instead of just 1 and you can accelerate na from standstill. mas smooth kasi takeoff, if you use 1, neck-snapping siya.

dunno about long-term effects of that one though.

Quote Originally Posted by nugundam93
    what about for invecs (4-speed)? i noticed kasi na if you use the semi-manual mode, if from stop, pwedeng ilagay sa 2 instead of just 1 and you can accelerate na from standstill. mas smooth kasi takeoff, if you use 1, neck-snapping siya.
    hindi ba pag full stop babalik yan sa 1st gear? Well at least in the Mazda3 and Honda Jazz.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Pwede siguro yan sa mga truck with lots ok torque. Trucks are meant for hauling heavy cargo. Dun siguro nagumpisa ang by passing 1st gear. Well if you are not driving a truck, use your 1st gear.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    ild: yeah, it actually downshifts pag di na kaya ng engine rpm. however, if from full stop and naka-1 ka, pwede ishift up to 2 and accelerate away.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nugundam93::: Different case with semi-auto trannys, it will shift back to 1st if tranny sensor detects engine lug starting in 2nd gear. Much like over-revving it in a single gear which auto shifts up just before reaching redline mark.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Bypassing 1st Gear