New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    For engines with 2.0 liter (gas) or 2.5 liter (diesel) or greater, do you think it is advisable to drive from full stop using the 2nd gear (bypassing the 1st gear).

I tried doing it on my Innova Gas 2.0, mukhang kayang kaya naman ng makina.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Clutch assembly running life will be cut short of its driving span. Mabilis makaupod ng clutch disc at kakalog agad ang release bearing.

Use your 1st gear, that's why it was put there in the first place. ;)

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ungas
    Clutch assembly running life will be cut short of its driving span. Mabilis makaupod ng clutch disc at kakalog agad ang release bearing.

Use your 1st gear, that's why it was put there in the first place. ;)
    OKAY, THANKS A LOT.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Kaya nga siguro... but since 2nd has a higher ratio, it would take more to get the vehicle to move than if it were in first. Minimal maybe, but it would use up more gas.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kala ko rin pwede basta medyo mataas ang torque ng isang sasakyan.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    -geebunny

im not so sure about bypassing the 1st gear. our driver does that a lot on our 98 trooper local version. sanay sya sa automatic kaya tamad mag shift. and hard headed. keeps doing it everytime.

it cost us a fried clutch, disentirgated pressure plate. damaged bearing located between the axle and propeller. forgot what it was called. and ofcourse the often shaking trooper as the suv accelerates.

IMHO the engineers did put 1st gear for a reason

oh by the way. its a 3.1ltr diesel engine turbo. 4x4.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    diba gawain niyan ng mga jeepney drivers kapag wala na talagang hatak yung mga 1st gear nila.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by baker123
    -geebunny

im not so sure about bypassing the 1st gear. our driver does that a lot on our 98 trooper local version. sanay sya sa automatic kaya tamad mag shift. and hard headed. keeps doing it everytime.

it cost us a fried clutch, disentirgated pressure plate. damaged bearing located between the axle and propeller. forgot what it was called. and ofcourse the often shaking trooper as the suv accelerates.

IMHO the engineers did put 1st gear for a reason

oh by the way. its a 3.1ltr diesel engine turbo. 4x4.
    Dati, I had a Panther AUV (locally assembled) with used Isuzu C240 Diesel Engine. I always bypassed the 1st gear when driving and been doing that for 5 years pero wala naman naging problema sa clutch or transmission.

Duda lang kasi ako sa Gas Engine. Hence, this thread. Pero to be safe, I will use the 1st gear.

9. Join Date
    May 2004
    not on full stop! pwede kung pwede, but it will definitely cost you grand..ching ching.
    if rolling, ok lang. kasi may mga ride na design not to push sa 1st when rolling. ayaw kumagat. kaya timpla ka talaga.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Been there done that, I used to start on 2nd gear before. Until my clutch disc was worn out at only 30,000kms when it should have reached atleast 80,000kms before replacing them again.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Bypassing 1st Gear