New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Battery-powered bus launched in Palace
    Friday, March 16, 2012

MANILA -- Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa Jr. led on Friday the launching of a new breed of commuter bus that was designed to run on batteries.

The introduction of the battery-powered bus, called eBus, was made possible through the program dubbed "Victory Against Climate Change", a partnership between the Climate Change Commission and Victory Liner, one of the leading transportation operators in the country. President Benigno Aquino III is the commission’s Chairperson.

"We are looking at the eBus as one of the vehicles that will carry government efforts to address the causes of climate change. The use of gasoline or diesel in our vehicles has been identified by science as one of the causes of climate change as it produces carbon dioxide, one of the major GHG (Green House Gas) in our atmosphere," Ochoa said.

Under Republic Act 9729 or the Climate Change Act of 2009, the Commission is mandated to promote and provide technical support to local research and development programs that will help address climate change.

Secretary Mary Ann Lucille Sering, commission vice chair, said that the use of battery-powered vehicles is one of the strategies under the National Climate Change Action Plan to help reduce the emission of greenhouse gases. She also said that the greenhouse gas inventory of the Philippines revealed that the transportation sector is the highest emitter of greenhouse gases.

"You need not be an expert to recognize the problem of pollution in the cities, particularly in Metro Manila. Just look at our streets and you will see commuter vehicles belching black smoke. That is not only bad for our climate but also for our health," she said.

Sering said that there is a need to engage the private sector more in the effort to fight against climate change and expressed hope that other transportation companies will adopt the new technology.

The bus runs on 400V "Winston" rare-earth Yttrium Lithium-ion battery with a maximum speed of 90 kilometers per hour. The bus has 26 seats but can carry a total of 52 passengers. (SDR/Sunnex)
    SOURCE: Battery-powered bus launched in Malacañang | Sun.Star

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Who's the manufacturer of this buses, or are they backyard projects? What's the range of this buses? And how long does it take to charge them?

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    sabi ko sa inyo environmentalists have captured the government

--

Mons, i think China yan

the "Winston" battery is made in China

China makes those Yttrium-based lithium ion batteries

4. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    I saw this convoy sa pier last wednesday, mukhang fresh from the ship. The bus is color green

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    correction: the bus is from Taiwan

it's made by a company called RAC

RAC Electric Vehicles Inc.

pero i'm sure the battery is from China

very likely the battery is made by a Shenzhen-based company called Thunder Sky

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AKI125 View Post
    I saw this convoy sa pier last wednesday, mukhang fresh from the ship. The bus is color green
    order pala ng Victory Liner yan

7. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Yep, sa front niya may LED display module stating "electric bus" then next screen display is " by victory liner"

8. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    With wholehearted support of the govt..this hopefully should prosper. Ganyan din nung panahon ng initial launching ng CNG buses..target daw within xx year will be 2k buses. But look at now dehado yung mga private investors, most of the time waiting for refilling of CNG. tsk. tsk. With diligent support from Govt..anything could prosper. Electrical charging station is not that complex compared to CNG refilling stations. ...Disposal of battery should also be included in the plan. I personally would like to try to hop into that bus..any news of what particular route? ..Saw it in the news kanina sa Bandila it is indeed Green hehehe..and my max speed limit of 90-95kph. Ayus yan pang NLEX/SCTEX/SLEX wala tyak overspeeding ticket ang driver. lol.
    Last edited by Jiggs; March 17th, 2012 at 02:08 AM.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Electric vehicles do have speed limits right? If so, this will somehow prevent the drivers to drive recklessly.

I wonder kung gano lang katagal ito kailangan i-charge kasi malaki yung bus eh

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Maganda mag pa photo-op, but anong actual goverment participation? Maganda if goverment waves off taxes and duties to encourage importation of these kinds of vehicles, not just mere "technical support"?

Under Republic Act 9729 or the Climate Change Act of 2009, the Commission is mandated to promote and provide technical support to local research and development programs that will help address climate change.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
"Battery-powered bus launched in Palace"