New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    just want to make a follow up question (basic 4x4 clinic) on wolfpack about hubs, but anyone can reply...

beebs,
    is it true to say that an auto locking hubs is a manual hubs "locked"?

if so, are my hubs now (auto) is experience the same tire wear, same consume gas as a manual hubs locked?

TIA

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A auto locking hub is not a "locked" version of a manual hub. It unlocks and locks just like the manual hubs pero does not need manual manipulation. Free wheel hub din ito like the manuals.

Less drag when unlocked.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    whats more common to brand new 4x4s? manual or auto hubs?
    i noticed the new HI-LUX has manual locking hubs.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yung hilux yata puro manual hubs. sa vitara auto hubs (stock). personally gusto ko sana ng manual hubs para if you need to use low gear but only in 2WD, pwede mo ipasok sa 4L na hindi ka matatakot na baka masira ang front axles mo (kunwari ipasok mo on pavement) or pag kelangan mo magtow ng sasakyan sa daan, ok lang din...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by crawdaddy
    yung hilux yata puro manual hubs. sa vitara auto hubs (stock). personally gusto ko sana ng manual hubs para if you need to use low gear but only in 2WD, pwede mo ipasok sa 4L na hindi ka matatakot na baka masira ang front axles mo (kunwari ipasok mo on pavement) or pag kelangan mo magtow ng sasakyan sa daan, ok lang din...
    i think that can be converted.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pwede nga ma-convert. I asked Freeman na, Warn manual hubs costs P8,000/pair sa kanya.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Maraming vehicles today ang hindi na gumagamit ng freewheel hubs. Yung mga Pajero, vacuum operated axle disconnect ang gamit, eh. And ang default setting niya ay 4wd so in case mag-fail ang vacuum, hindi ka mawawala sa 4wd.

Just the same, it can be converted to manual hubs din for the hardcore wheelers.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Otep::: i need clarification. Naguluhan ako about the whole hub thing when i saw a Pajero sa nakabaklas yung wheels (hindi umaandar). Inikot ko, sumama yung axle!!! I noticed yung hubs sa pajero natin walang nakalagay na "auto locking".

Does this mean that if a failure occurs in our SS4 system, mage-engage ang 4WD? (Assuming na naka 2H.) If yes, then thats cool!!!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think the disengagement of the front drive system of our Pajero occurs sa diff (not sure, though). The halfshafts are always turning with the road wheels.

If failure of the system does occur, the front wheel indicators will flash and you may hear some strange (annoying and scary too) sounds from the front axle. The only way to remedy this is to shift to 4H.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hmmm. Yan din haka-haka namin ng Cousin ko. Parating naka-engage yung wheel axles and that the action occurs in the tcase. :D

on auto and manual hubs...