New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just finished watching! Awesome program. I started program midway, but here's what I caught:

1. Humvees - shown climbing a 60º slope, speeding across unpaved dirt, snorkelling and beach landing. if that sounds familiar, they also show it run over a landmine and retain its passenger compartment.

2. 4x4 safety - Landrover Disco and Jeep cornering, and lifting wheels in the process. Emphasis on how most 4x4s are prone to tipping over. Also feature crash testing.

3. Iceland Hillclimbs - 800hp buggies that literally power through an 80º slope, launching themselves airborne in possibly the most spectacular way to end a climb... or dash. Also shows the best way to cross water -- Aquaplaning! The buggies are so powerful that they can cross rivers and lakes literally skimming across the surface, entering the water at 70mph. they sink if they slow down. Lastly, feature on the simple construction -- an axle can be replaced in 5 minutes.

4. Antarctic Crossing - Modified LC80s cross the antarctic continent... Imagine custom axles, generators, water heaters and no less than 15 forward gears! These LC80s are built to be totally autonomous for 3 months. Drivers air down from 30psi to just 2psi to gain sufficient traction on the slippery ice. Also shows spectacular use of the lighter fluid inflation trick.

5. Iceland Rescue Vehicles - Fire engines, Ambulances all with 12-inch wide tires and winches. They show an ambulance using a winch to extract a victim buried in the ice.

6. NASA Rovers - The most expensive, and most efficient 4x4s around. The Lunar rover can range over 60 miles in just 2 36-volt batteries, and can withstand temperature extremes from 150c to -100c.
    6a. NASA Terrestrial Rovers - Super expensive, unmanned 4x4s used to scour the arctic for meteorite fragments.

7. Quadbikes - Small, nimble and powerful. Some talk about injuries possible with the quads, and then their advantages over larger buddies.

8. Monster Trucks! -- 'nuff said.

9. Raid Rally - Baja trucks running on special alcohol, and pushing 0-100mph times that would shame a sportscar.

I'm sure they'll be replaying this sometime this morning, possible at dawn. If you have Discovery's schedule, be sure to check it out! I only regret not being able to tape it.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    wwaaahhhhh...... wala kaming discovery :cry:
    This was what ungas was talking about.

anybody taped the episode? pahiram naman....pleeease

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    "The 4x4 is king" --> How's that for a concluding statement! 8)

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    pare..walang sinabi kotse.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by splerdu
    Just finished watching! Awesome program.
    yup, awesome program! watched it midway too.

Quote Originally Posted by splerdu
    6. NASA Rovers - The most expensive, and most efficient 4x4s around. The Lunar rover can range over 60 miles in just 2 36-volt batteries, and can withstand temperature extremes from 150c to -100c.
    not everyone knows, the lunar rover that was used in first lunar landing was invented by a filipino scientist.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    napanood ko. galeng! hanep yun humvee

pero peyborit ko yun 4x4 crossing a body of water? sa bilis ng rotation ng wheels it doesnt sink!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sa mga walang discovery channel sa cable nyo, watch nyo nalang webcam ko sa YM
    my YM is akosiboybi
    pag pasensyahan nyo na quality ng video. pero wala naman ata putol ang sound e.
    Signature

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    waaaaa wala me discovery, badtrip Home Cable

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    edzzz,
    parehas tayo Home Cable! waaaa!
    fota bulok... buti nalang libre... hehehhehhe!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    watched it kagabi. pucha pwde pala 2-5psi lang sa gulong?

bakit kaya di na feature patrol? :mrgreen:
    Signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Amazing 4x4 feature on Discovery: Powerzone!