New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    the only thing that i got is a near accident on a RHD country, we're used to looking at the left when crossing the street, when a vehicle zoomed in front of me coming from the right whew

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    I read somewhere, or was it a TV show, that in the US, everything became LHD when Ford just built the Model T as LHD.

Interestingly, USPS vans are RHD, I suppose because they always have to get down, or reach into a mailbox.

Passing is always a problem with RHD in an LHD country, but I suppose if you don't mind the additional mirrors, it can be worked out.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Personally I would rather have all vehicles LHD in a LHD country, even if it can be argued that RHD can work in an LHD country. Just because it works doesn't mean that it will work well. Toll booths and parking booths, passing, etc. will all be made needlessly risky and difficult, making our unsafe roads even more unsafe.

I suppose in other countries, RHD is allowed in an LHD land because it's going to be a tiny niche market in those countries. Pero dito sa atin, kung payagan ang RHD, there will be too many RHD vehicles on the road (dahil sa dami ng mga imported used, and often junk, vehicles) and I think that will significantly compromise overall road safety. In other countries, those who bring in non-standard vehicles are bound to know what theyre doing because of the hassles involved. E pero dito, hindi ganun. Just think, 97,000 vehicles were sold by the formal industry for 2005. In the same period, an estimated 15,000 to 20,000 imported used vehicles (mostly RHD) were brought in. To me, that's too big a proportion to allow for non-standard vehicles.

Besides, what's the point of allowing RHD? To make it easier and more convenient to import used/junk cars? In the long term, that's a very unhealthy and unsustainable strategy to bring cars to the people. Legalizing RHD is similar to addressing prostitution by legalizing it. I think the circumstances here are quite different from that of Japan, Europe and Canada.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    what's the point of allowing RHD
    Because this is the easiest way to get a Land Cruiser diesel with a winch, 3 lockers, and 2 fuel tanks.

It's also the only way to get a Pajero diesel into Canada. And the diesel population at 4x4wire has been growing steadily since last year.

SUV's seem to be the most popular ex-JDM vehicles in Canada. Land Cruisers and Hilux Surfs are being snapped up almost as quickly as they arrive.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yes, but again, the Canadian RHD-import market is made up mostly of (I suspect), enthusiasts who are looking for a specific vehicle and know what they are doing and are willing to put up with the hassle of importation.

Here, the RHD-import market is like a giant sari-sari store that steals sales away from the formal industry as well as the secondary local used-car market. I can understand that there are enthusiasts here as well who may be looking for a specific vehicle, know what they are doing and are willing to put up with the hassle of importation, but there are far more non-enthusiasts who are not looking for a specific vehicle, may not know what they are doing and may not understand the hassle of importation... which makes the prospect of legalizing RHD here much more dangerous than in other countries like Canada.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yep. They are looking for vehicles that were never available or were not available in the configuration they wanted. They are using them as daily drivers and since it is Canada, they do not have to go through the trouble of federalizing the vehicles. Purchasing the units is just a tad more difficult than purchasing any used car. From there, they only have to make the vehicle comply with local regulations and pass through an inspection before getting their license tags.

In the U.S. (e.g. those Skylines), the import company (Motorex?) that brings in those monsters had to federalize the units which meant crash testing and reengineering among others. No wonder those Skylines cost a pretty penny.

The issue is pretty much a closed book here (you either pay a Php500k flat fee or you don't get your import). However, it's an ongoing battle in Canada as there are groups (comprised mainly of non-enthusiasts) who are lobbying to ban the import of ex-JDM vehicles.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I would join in protesting RHD being allowed here in the US. We have enough idiots on the road getting in trouble with LHD. No need to confuse them further with RHD. Postal RHD's have rigid rules they have to adhere to. In Nevada where many towns have 15 mph and 25 mph speed limits, RHD postal vans are a regular sight on the roads. It's no coincidence many mail are delivered close to the times schoolkids are dismissed.

Here in our neighborhood, postal mail and packages are delivered by the mailman in his privately owned van.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    ako naman I am for the conversion of all PUJ's and PUB's sa RHD. para mag-think twice sila swerve at madali sila magtawag ng pasahero
    parang yung gamit ng mga mailman sa US, nasa right side sila para pag pickup ng mails madali lang

9. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    There is only one solution to eliminate RHD and LHD advantages/comparison.

Check out this car (attachment):
    (Mr. Bean's Nemesis's car)

It will answer partiality among RHD and LHD drivers.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbaguio View Post
    There is only one solution to eliminate RHD and LHD advantages/comparison.

Check out this car (attachment):
    (Mr. Bean's Nemesis's car)

It will answer partiality among RHD and LHD drivers.
    Err ... how? The steering wheel and the driver's seat is still on the right hand side of that Reliant.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Advantages of being RHD in an LHD country