New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i agree.
    conclusions should be based on hard facts/evidence.

para sakin mas madami pang accidents involving orig.LHD
    kasi nga mas madami sila vs. converted.
    so, its more of a "driver" factor not vehicle factor.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    since this is about RHD conversions...are there any shops around that specialize in doing these conversions?

3. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    I also agree nasa driver yan. Ma pa LHD or RHD yan kung hindi maingat magdrive maaksidente talaga. Isipin mo nalang ang daming owner jeep dito sa pinas. dito lang gawa yan puro surplus pa yan kung baga halohalong piyesa pa ang ginamit mga power steering pa.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I guess the issue is... Converted vehicles have a larger chance of accidents that weren't due to driver's error... Meaning, an accident caused by mechanical or structural failure.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    I also agree nasa driver yan. Ma pa LHD or RHD yan kung hindi maingat magdrive maaksidente talaga. Isipin mo nalang ang daming owner jeep dito sa pinas. dito lang gawa yan puro surplus pa yan kung baga halohalong piyesa pa ang ginamit mga power steering pa.
    I agree to this depende sa driver yan...

6. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Originally posted by nap123
    Yeah also yung mga PUJs (e.g. LGS, Morales) na napakatulin tumakbo sa mga daan...puno na ng pasahero at me sabit pa. Biro mo makina ng minitruck nilagay sa jeep tapos bumibiyahe ng almost 24 hours a day. Yung mga aksidente na nabalitaan ko about this custom made vehicles e driver ang me sala.

I could say magaling ang mga mekaniko natin. Pero wala nga lang quality control yung gawa kaya wala kasiguruhan. I guess if you're planning to buy a RHD vehicle, make sure ipasuri mabuti sa inyong trusted mekaniko. For me, these vehicles are already surplus from Japan and di na nila pakikinabangan so might as well gamitin natin mga pinoy. Sapalaran na lang.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    few comments...i had the same impression before sa mga converted..takot na takot ako bumili ng isa hearing about those accidents and all that...i even started a thread whether to get 3dr pajero or rav 4. bottomline..nauwi ako sa pajero...no regrets at all..

i'm presently using converted pajero, si sir jgaa22bo have 3 converted pajeros...i have several friends na meron din mga converted pajero and landcruisers. true nasa pagka convert nga malaking factor ng safety...so bago ka kumuha..make sure may kasama kang marunong tumingin... pero when u talk to converted pajeros or the likes are not safe...better not ride any jeepney or owner or mga assembled vehicles na nakikita mo dahil mas delikado mga yan kung tutuusin...but fact is, we've been using them since time you were born....so bago ka matakot dun sa mga pajero sa subic..matakot ka na sa jeep...meaning, it's ok to get the converted vehicles...as long as you have it checked by a mechanic or better kay sir jga22bo who's expert in pajero conversion....he'll make sure na yung pajero eh parang good as orig when u have you gearbox and other parts replaced by him.

8. Join Date
    May 2004
    just read an article that headlights should also be adjusted when converting a RHD to LHD.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For me, with converted vehicles, the probability on a mechanical/structural failure can be more probable in an accident over a non-converted car (meaning: hindi sa driver). This is if the owner is not properly informed on what he should look at and do to ensure the safety of their vehicle after they have purchased it.

Just to add, one of the worlds greatest F1 Drivers, Ayrton Senna was believed to have died in an accident not caused by driver failure but mechanical... his steering wheel was improperly welded and snapped due to metal fatigue. This is one of the scary thoughts that enter my mind whenever i happen by a Delica or convertd SUV speeding down the NLEX (and they always seem to pick on my lil old pick-up, tinututukan ako lagi)

10. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    well there are 2 major parts where accidents happen sa converted imported cars, FIRST is the steering wheel where the Fitman arm w/c connects the wheel and the sterring control are either cut and welded or heated and twisted. 2ND is the cut and install of the brake controls or footbrake where sometimes the connection or welded portion of the footbrake itself is disconnected.

So if you're to buy a "SUBIC" car, better check and replace the Steering Gear box or the fitman arm to the local fitted side. Also chk the connection of the foot controls like the brake and the accelerator, if the accelerator pad becomes loose while you're overtaking then that's a problem!

So far i read 2 news that a converted car got involved in an accident (yun reported lang) both had a problem w/ the steering wheels coz the fitman arm wasn't welded properly.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Accidents involving converted vehicles