New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    1st question:
    what is the difference between LC80 and LC100?i'm guessing the LC100 is the full-size v8-powered LC?

2nd question:
    america's nissan xterra and the world's nissan xtrail--totally different from each other?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by sikuya
    1st question:
    what is the difference between LC80 and LC100?i'm guessing the LC100 is the full-size v8-powered LC?
    Both TLCs are full sized wagons. The LC80 series was released 90s - present have full floating axles. Other features compared to previous models are coil spring suspension, full-time 4 wheel drive with locking center differential (except our local version had part time 4WD and no diff lock options) and ABS brakes.

While the LC100 series is the successor to the 80 series. The front live axle has been replaced with an independent front suspension and torsion bars. It is too big and top-heavy to be much of a performer on-road, and the IFS makes it unsuited for anything but "week-end warrior" off road use. Also due to the IFS, the front locker is no longer an option.

Originally posted by sikuya
    2nd question:
    america's nissan xterra and the world's nissan xtrail--totally different from each other?
    Nissan Xterra and Nissan Xtrail are different models from one another.

Nissan Xterra

Nissan Xtrail

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ang 'smaller Land Cruiser' ay ang LC90 at LC120 aka the Prado series.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    learn more about the cruisers here
    http://www.brian894x4.com/FOREIGNTOYOTAMAINPAGE.html
    from the BJ25 up to LC105

80 series 1990-1997
    100 series 1997-present

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nissan x trail is an on road mini suv n suitable for heavy offroading. sa mud n slippery roads lang, while the xterra aka paladin in china is a real performer sa offroad since it has axles n leaf springs n 4low

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    16Dec203 (UTC -8)

Originally posted by Ungas ...
    While the LC100 series is the successor to the 80 series. The front live axle has been replaced with an independent front suspension and torsion bars. It is too big and top-heavy to be much of a performer on-road, and the IFS makes it unsuited for anything but "week-end warrior" off road use. Also due to the IFS, the front locker is no longer an option.
    I'd gladly dispute this urban myth

The 100series is not a Mall Cruiser. It is a proven vehicle that can get you to hell and back. The only issue is that compared to the 80series, it has taken some design compromises that allow it to be better on-road.

The 100series has IFS and only rear diff locker, while the 80series has live front axles and fr/rr diff lockers. However, ARB sells the IFS locker for the 100series.

The series has a massive 4.7L v8 engine, compared with the 4.5L i6 for the 80series. They have the same displacement diesel engines.

Unless you want to split hairs, both vehicles have the same exterior and interior dimensions/measurements.

Here's an FAQ about US-spec 80-series 'Cruisers:
    http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

Interesting read about the 100series:
    http://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?bo...;threadid=8019
    http://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?bo...;threadid=7269

Don't hesitate to ask me more nerd info if you want :D

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    drexx is certainly THE authority on the LC100 and LC80 and the differences between the two, since he drives both (super yaman siguro ni mr. drexx hehehe )

basically, the LC100 is the successor/replacement to the LC80 (which was last available in 1997), just as the 2004 Accord replaces the '98-'03 Accord. there are important differences as Ungas notes; the higher-end LC100 models carry IFS, which makes them better on the road but dilutes their off-road ability. they're still excellent off-roaders however, if arguably no longer quite on the same plane as Patrols and Gelandewagens. i think the suspension travel of the rear axle has been increased relative to that of the LC80 to compensate for the IFS. the LC100 is available with the 4.7L V8 and a 4.2L turbodiesel 6.

however, base-model LC100s still carry a front rigid axle, in fact, practically the whole chassis of the LC80. the 4.7L V8 isn't available for these "LC105" models (they make do with the previous gas 4.5L inline-6 and 4.2L turbodiesel sixes).

the Xterra and the X-Trail are different models entirely; the Xterra is a largish compact SUV based on the Frontier pickup. it's a body-on-frame design with a two-range transfer case, rear live-axle suspension, and part-time four-wheel drive. the X-trail is a compact SUV about the size of a Ford Escape. it's a monocoque design with a four-cylinder engine (there's a 2.0L, 2.5L, and a 2.2L naturally-aspirated diesel), independent suspension all-around, and an optional single-range, on-demand all-wheel drive system.

basically, the Xterra is a traditional truck design, while the X-trail is a "soft-roader" compact SUV.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Agree with Drexx,

I wouldn't dismiss the LC100 series as a mall Cruiser. But being the old-fashioned guy that I am, I'd still take a decent LC80 over it. :D

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Ungas
    My LC is identical to that in the picture even the color but without the roof rack. :freak:

2 questions, need answers