New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Electric cars will only be viable to people who regularly travel relatively short distances, with or without traffic. Petrol engines have very poor efficiency when used on short distances, even on an open highway. And it gets much worse in stop and go traffic. In both of these cases, an electric car would be ideal.

Would I get one if the TCO gets cheaper? Absolutely!

I travel 32-35km a day (home to office and back). So a full charge should last me about three days (for the Leaf's 160km range and factoring the lights that will be turned on half the time).

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sana mag-design sila ng replaceable battery pack if you are low on battery charge to improve ang range. Just think lang na every gas station would have battery packs already charged. So one electric car comes in and has the option to either charge (quick charge yata is 20mins for the Leaf) or replace the battery packs. Of course, the current design right now is that removing the battery packs is time consuming. Maganda sana kung plug and play ang design nya.

So if the client swapped the battery pack, the gas station will charge that depleted battery pack for the next EV customer.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Electric cars will only be viable to people who regularly travel relatively short distances, with or without traffic. Petrol engines have very poor efficiency when used on short distances, even on an open highway. And it gets much worse in stop and go traffic. In both of these cases, an electric car would be ideal.

Would I get one if the TCO gets cheaper? Absolutely!

I travel 32-35km a day (home to office and back). So a full charge should last me about three days (for the Leaf's 160km range and factoring the lights that will be turned on half the time).
    That 160km range wil be drastically cut down if you also include aircon usage during your drive.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Mguy View Post
    Sana mag-design sila ng replaceable battery pack if you are low on battery charge to improve ang range. Just think lang na every gas station would have battery packs already charged. So one electric car comes in and has the option to either charge (quick charge yata is 20mins for the Leaf) or replace the battery packs. Of course, the current design right now is that removing the battery packs is time consuming. Maganda sana kung plug and play ang design nya.

So if the client swapped the battery pack, the gas station will charge that depleted battery pack for the next EV customer.
    that would be a nice "what-if" scenario. Having standard battery packs for all types and models of EVs but it will not happen. For one, the battery pack is a major component in a EV, essentially the EV is designed around its battery pack. SO until the day where an EV's battery pack is the size of a medium sized hand luggage, this will just remain a fantasy.

I am also curious about the practicality of the battery swapping mods done to the ejeepney. From the way they are doing it, it's going to take quite a effort just to swap a single vehicle at one time. Imagine having to do it everyday for 21 vehicles (the makati ejeep fleet).

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Mguy View Post

BTW asking car makers to make a common swappable EV battery pack would be like asking honda, toyota, nissan and mitsubishi to make a single common engine for their civic, corolla, sentra and lancer. It won't happen unless coerced by outside forces.

We don't even have common "sharable" batteries for our laptops and mobile phones (sharable between brands).
    Last edited by ghosthunter; March 8th, 2012 at 07:33 PM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    BTW asking car makers to make a common swappable EV battery pack would be like asking honda, toyota, nissan and mitsubishi to make a single common engine for their civic, corolla, sentra and lancer. It won't happen unless coerced by outside forces.

We don't even have common "sharable" batteries for our laptops and mobile phones (sharable between brands).
    Even motolite and standard batteries have different posts lines. Had to configure my battery cable when I replaced my Standar with a motolite one.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Well we could hope. Just recently, phone manufacturers have different chargers but they unified to produce a common one for all makes of phone.

Am pretty sure in the history of cars, certain things got standardized. Hopefully in due time.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    ... lower the prices.. or even have the government subsidize at least 50% of the price.. i wont mind using one...

even tax breaks and extra discounts will help din.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    that would be a nice "what-if" scenario. Having standard battery packs for all types and models of EVs but it will not happen. For one, the battery pack is a major component in a EV, essentially the EV is designed around its battery pack. SO until the day where an EV's battery pack is the size of a medium sized hand luggage, this will just remain a fantasy.
    one more thing... if i bought a brand new million+ peso electric car, i wouldnt swap my new battery for someone else's battery

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The idea is to divorce the battery ownership from the vehicle ownership via a swapping regime... which works if you have enough clients with the same battery.

For cars that already have their own battery pack, once you've designed a compact, swappable battery that can fit in a trunk, you can piggyback that in those cars.

99% of the issues with electrics are battery, battery, battery. By making it a supplier-side issue rather than a customer-side issue, you take care of most of the problems with owning an EV. As a bonus, supplier-side battery ownership mostly eliminates the need for quick-charging, which kills batteries quickly.

Of course, everyone's waiting for the magic bullet miracle quick-charge, ultra-cheap battery. But that's notgonnahappenanytimesoon.com

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
"Philippines urged to try electric vehicles"