New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    The problem is not the imported used cars from Japan.

The problem is the conversion from RHD to LHD. There are those who really take the time and care to make quality conversions using actual LHD parts.

But there are those who just do the chop-chop method which may not only affect quality of the car but also the safety.

And then there are the controls and release levers...
    Exactly, sir!
    That's what I'm worried about.
    I've heard some conversions, when you start running 100kph, nawawala control nung manibela. But I also read some from other forums na meron daw mga trusted na nagcoconvert here in the philippines.
    So if the car was converted by those people daw, okay daw.

**stress on the daw's**

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by twentyseven27 View Post
    Exactly, sir!
    That's what I'm worried about.
    I've heard some conversions, when you start running 100kph, nawawala control nung manibela. But I also read some from other forums na meron daw mga trusted na nagcoconvert here in the philippines.
    So if the car was converted by those people daw, okay daw.

**stress on the daw's**
    And in the Philippines, words are cheap. Insurance is expensive. And funerals I prefer to avoid, especially my own.

Best to get a locally sourced car just for one's own piece of mind.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    mahal ata nitong mga to.

any matic car (local or not), kahit mga near 2002 model, and within 250k to 350k... di naman masyadong gwapo kasi panggamit lang talaga..

Yes medyo mahal, but considerably cheaper as compared to locally sold if they were ever released.

Sa budget mong yan you can get civic a/t na local.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_gambit View Post
    Yes medyo mahal, but considerably cheaper as compared to locally sold if they were ever released.

Sa budget mong yan you can get civic a/t na local.

Medyo against sila on buying a honda, coz they said part will be really hard to look for or very expensive. So I am thinking of a different car. May naiisip din ba kayo na SUV around that price?

Appreciate all the help. I've been all over the web trying to look for a good car. And it's just tiring.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Medyo against sila on buying a honda, coz they said part will be really hard to look for or very expensive. So I am thinking of a different car. May naiisip din ba kayo na SUV around that price?

Appreciate all the help. I've been all over the web trying to look for a good car. And it's just tiring.

Marami naman parts ang honda sa banaue ah? taga san ka ba sir?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002

Honda parts are as hard/expensive to look for as parts for a Toyota and Nissan cars.

If you are thinking SUV parts are cheaper... you might reconsider that thought.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    mahal ata nitong mga to.

any matic car (local or not), kahit mga near 2002 model, and within 250k to 350k... di naman masyadong gwapo kasi panggamit lang talaga..
    Sorry, my bad. Akala ko kasi kahit anung car pwede. Hehehe. If you're really upto it (subic cars) pasok sa budget ang Grandis, Grandia, Urvan and Mazda power van.

Grandis: Gas, 2.4 GDI (bawal ang e10 as per mitsu), super comfortable, parts, SUPER HIRAP HANAPIN!

Grandia: HI-Ace type. diesel or gas. maganda sakyan kasi pangmaramihan. Parts, di ko alam. doors, sa kabila (driver side) ang may pinto. Medyo delikado sa hiway. Parts, same with local ata

Urvan: Like local urvan except for the door. Parts, same with local ata

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004

I agree with GH... Honda parts aren't any harder to find that modern Nissan or Toyota parts...

You can't seriously compare maintaining an SUV with maintaining a compact car... brand new spare parts for SUVs are harder to find and cost much more.

And a Subic SUV is an even bigger headache. Even discounting the issues with wiggling, poor alignment, loss of control and detaching steering arms, you have to contend with weird turning circles (the vehicle will turn much tighter to one side because the steering rack is on wrong), mirrors that don't focus properly, ugly dashboard cuts and controls all out of place.

And we're not even considering the wiring shorts and corrosion caused by the vehicles being shipped by sea... (also a problem sometimes with surplus engines)...

I'd much rather get a smaller local vehicle of similar price than trust my life to one of those death-traps.

At 250-350, you can already get a wide variety of good local cars in the 2002 range... though personally, in your budget, I'd stay away from most automatics unless you're really good at assessing condition... rebuilding a poorly cared for automatic is a pain in the butt.
    Last edited by niky; June 17th, 2010 at 06:44 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I agree with GH... Honda parts aren't any harder to find that modern Nissan or Toyota parts...

You can't seriously compare maintaining an SUV with maintaining a compact car... brand new spare parts for SUVs are harder to find and cost much more.

And a Subic SUV is an even bigger headache. Even discounting the issues with wiggling, poor alignment, loss of control and detaching steering arms, you have to contend with weird turning circles (the vehicle will turn much tighter to one side because the steering rack is on wrong), mirrors that don't focus properly, ugly dashboard cuts and controls all out of place.

And we're not even considering the wiring shorts and corrosion caused by the vehicles being shipped by sea... (also a problem sometimes with surplus engines)...

I'd much rather get a smaller local vehicle of similar price than trust my life to one of those death-traps.

At 250-350, you can already get a wide variety of good local cars in the 2002 range... though personally, in your budget, I'd stay away from most automatics unless you're really good at assessing condition... rebuilding a poorly cared for automatic is a pain in the butt.

Death-traps? sobra ka naman yata sir, hindi lahat ng imported ganun. Meroon din properly converted. You have such a sweeping and conclusive statement.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Siguro niky didn't mean to generalize the converted vehicles. I agree with you, blue and with niky. There are properly converted vehicles and there are poorly done ones. If something breaks down, it's your life that is at stake especially when running on high speed.

I think it would be better if the TS opts for something local something more, trusty. Cause if you don't know or trust anyone that do conversions then you're immediately putting your life at risk.

Frankly, since I don't know anyone who does conversions I wouldn't opt for a converted vehicle. I might not know if it's poorly done or not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast