New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Recent letter to Car&Driver magazine:

Your readers should be aware that the refinement of BMW now includes only speedo, tach, gas, and mpg gauges for instruments. All other [calculations aren't shown]. During my time with a 328i, an oil can dripping into what looked like water flashed on the screen several times. I learned this was the "add oil" indication. Unable to find the dipstick to check, I went to the dealer. They advised me there is NO LONGER ANY DIPSTICK in the BMW 3-series except the M3 and that the transition started in 2006. There have been a few hiccups with this new engineering breakthrough. The sensors occasionally malfunction, and customers have added oil when they shouldn't have. I was told the proper way to check the oil is to return to the car to your BMW dealership and it will put the vehicle on a rack, drain the oil, measure it, and then install the oil in the car. Two dealers have told me BMW doesn't want customers monkeying around under the hood. In my judgement, this new technology paradigm by BMW electrical engineers surpasses iDrive for idiocy.

Richard A. Wittenburg
    N.Syracuse, New York
    What was wrong with the dipstick in the first place? I wonder what's gonna go next, the oil filler cap?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I wonder what's gonna go next ...
    They have also removed the temperature gauge on my 118i (2005).

True, there is no oil dipstick on the gas engines, but diesels have it. However, coolant temperature can be displayed with the hidden menu.

It seems BMW engineers are so confident of their engines with lots of sensors to tell the driver of possible problems. But then, it is also true that the oil sensors on my car give inconsistent readouts, one day it is full, next day at 3/4, and would return to full unpredictably.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I hate the fact that lots of new cars have a blue/red warning light instead of a water temperature gauge... the sooner you know there's a problem, the easier it is to perform preventative maintenance.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I miss the days when oil pressure and voltage were standard instead of idiot lights. Or maybe were just getting too old for this.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Hmmm, good way for stealerships to make more money. I can just see a $100 bill to add engine oil. Or better yet a blown engine bec the driver:
    a) did not know what the new idiot light was for.
    b) was stuck in traffic trying to get to the stealership while the engine was starving for oil

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hmmm... oil pressure... I'm still looking for the cheapest oil pressure and temperature gauges (with sending units) I can find for my car...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I hate the fact that lots of new cars have a blue/red warning light instead of a water temperature gauge... the sooner you know there's a problem, the easier it is to perform preventative maintenance.
    True! True!

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Hmmm... oil pressure... I'm still looking for the cheapest oil pressure and temperature gauges (with sending units) I can find for my car...
    Sir niky, ano po ibig sabihin ng sending units? at magkano po ba kasi yung guages na ganun?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    What? :doh:

I hope that this new technology doesn't go beyond BMW's doors.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    That's why older cars rule! The new ones are just too idiot proof and made without the DIYer in mind, obviously to keep the dealerships profiting at the expense of the enthusiast's know-how.

The only time I'll ever buy a new car is when I have enough money to have it sent to the dealer for any repairs. But before that happens, I'll keep driving my old, reliable cars that I can maintain myself.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    True! True!

Sir niky, ano po ibig sabihin ng sending units? at magkano po ba kasi yung guages na ganun?
    The gauges come with their own sensors. Typically 6k to 13k ang sensors sa mga speed shops. I'm considering it for extra safety on track days... once the oil temps go up, it's time to back off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
What was wrong with the dipstick?