New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    here's what i think i should get fixed with our ride:

engine -- bleeding oil

suspension -- goes "ka-blag" when going over relatively small bumps/potholes

aircon -- lumalamig lang pag tumatakbo

electricals -- a mess. period

paint job -- cracking/peeling, little rust dimples appearing on roof; planning to
    get washover

transmission -- the shifter seems to "get stuck" once in a while

since cash is a bit tight, ano po sa tingin nyo ung magandang sequence? tingin ko kasi ung engine muna, pero maganda pa naman ang takbo, di pa malakas kumain ng langis.

it's an old ae92 xl btw

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk
    here's what i think i should get fixed with our ride:

engine -- bleeding oil

suspension -- goes "ka-blag" when going over relatively small bumps/potholes

aircon -- lumalamig lang pag tumatakbo

electricals -- a mess. period

paint job -- cracking/peeling, little rust dimples appearing on roof; planning to
    get washover

transmission -- the shifter seems to "get stuck" once in a while

since cash is a bit tight, ano po sa tingin nyo ung magandang sequence? tingin ko kasi ung engine muna, pero maganda pa naman ang takbo, di pa malakas kumain ng langis.

it's an old ae92 xl btw
    have the engine looked into first. So that means checking the oil leak, tranny and aircon problems.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    I don't really see much of a reason to prioritize here as all of them seem equally important. Except perhaps for the electricals, for reason of safety. Might want to consider buying one of those cheapo kitchen fire extinguishers and carrying it in the car at all times.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    In this order.
    1. Electrical, 2. transmission, 3. engine, 4. aircon, 5. suspension, 6. paint job.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    my order would be engine, transmission, electrical suspension, a/c, paint job.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBimmer
    my order would be engine, transmission, electrical suspension, a/c, paint job.

But the electrical is already a mess. Even with a good engine, your car would not run if your electrical is malfunctioning especially is the ignition system is also affected, and for safety reason too as shadetree mentioned. With the condition of his engine, he could just add oil from time to time.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    First: electrical + engine and tranny swap :evillaugh
    Second: suspension upgrades
    Third: A/C
    Fourth: Paint job

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    mine is >>>

1)electrical

2)engine

3)suspension

4)transmission

5)air conditioner

6) body paint job

9. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by j_avonni
    But the electrical is already a mess. Even with a good engine, your car would not run if your electrical is malfunctioning especially is the ignition system is also affected, and for safety reason too as shadetree mentioned. With the condition of his engine, he could just add oil from time to time.
    the car should be left in the garage in the 1st place and be used only after everything is fixed pra walang hassle. so those top3 could be in any order as badkuk did not state clearly what specifically is wrong with his electricals, 'a mess' could mean minor or major problems.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Here's my take guys, if nobody minds:

I'm going to list the possible dangers and/or inconveniences that each of the mentioned systems might cause, but not necessarily in a particular order:

1. Electrical--can leave you stranded, or worse, cause a fire.
    2. Engine--if the owner fails to regularly check the engine oil level, engine could seize, causing an accident.
    3. Transmission--Might fail but there's a good chance the car will still be driveable at low speed.
    4. Suspension--unlikely to cause an accident or leave the driver stranded, unless owner does something stupid.
    5. A/C--absolutely no safety issue. Only a matter of inconvenience.
    6. PAINT JOB...

...now I notice that everybody put the paintjob at the very end of their list of priorities. I understand that it has nothing to do with neither safety nor convenience, but the thing to remember is that the longer you postpone fixing it, the bigger the repair that will need to be done, and the more money might be needed to fix it--hence, there is a time factor that needs to be considered.

Nevertheless, there are also other important things to consider like the engine and the electricals, hence my assessment of them as all being equally important.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
what to repair first