New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    imageuploadedbytsikot-forums1430003330.818575.jpg

I usually place my car fresher in the cup holder of my Montero. There were few instances however when I left it either on the passenger seat or in the space beside the gear shift (kambyo). That space is where I often put my mobile phone and tv plus remote.

Two weeks ago when I was re-arranging the position of my car freshener inside its can. I noticed a black spot on 1 of the 3 fresherner. Ive been using the same brand for years on my car and have not seen a similar mark. My first thought was that it was a factory stain of some sorts only bec i dont have ballpens that can leak ink. Another possibility that crossed my mind was that it was burn stain. Maybe extreme heat inside caused it to burn? There were times u was parked in unshaded area. I was convincing myself it was not possible hence I just let it be. Until last night when my daughter handed me the tv remote and pointed something on it. Upon checking, it was only then that I realized that my car could have indeed gone to ashes. Part of the car freshener's fiber was melted on the remote as shown in the pic.

What could be the cause? Excessive heat kaya? I have the lightest windshield tint on my monty. Then again i also have the lightest tint on my car (although diff series but same brand). And my car is usually just parked on an unshaded area of our garage. Wala naman ganito.

Cellphone ko kaya? Since i usuall charge it on that space near the gear shift. Pero if cellphone how come magkadikit na nasubog car freshener and remote? Possible lang siguro if the freshener was in contact at one end of my phone tapos a kabila naman yun remote.

What do you think caused something like this?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Heat is the culprit, definitely IMO. Most likely from the sun since the car is parked in an unshaded area. I doubt if the heat came from the remote control's batteries since they are not being used while parked.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

the fragrance compound probably got cooked and burned, with some of it boiling over to the rubber..

so that is what 100 peso car parfums look like... seems like easy money for the manufacturer..

4. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Just to be safe, Im definitely changing brands. Buti nalang hindi nagtuloy tuloy.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Meron lang chemical content yung freshener na nakakalusaw ng plastic, ayun medyo nag melt yung plastic ng remote. Parang ordinary alcohol lang (70% green cross or what) or ibang perfume rin lang yan, i-try mo ipatak sa dashboard mo at hayaan mo lang matuyo ng kusa as in wag mo punasan, makikita mo discolored na yung dashboard mo. Hindi po yan due to heat, due to chemical reaction po iyan.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Spilled some liquid air freshener on the HU because it was clipped onto the center air vents. Nangulubot ang plastic after a few days and may stain marks kung saan sya dumaan. Since then we stuck to the scented dehumidifiers placed under the front seat. IMO mas effective and di masakit sa ilong.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    yan ba ung califorian scent.
    nagkaroon nadin ako ng experience sa ganyan.baka dumikit ung pinaka carbon fiber ng pabango dun sa plastic na nasunog.tapos nabilad sa araw.nagkakaroon talaga siya ng chemical reaction.sa akin nga tumagilid ung lata tapos kumatas ung pinaka liquid niya sa center console.ayun natunaw din ung kinatasan niya sa init ng araw..

nagkaroon nadin ako ng experience sa ganyan.baka dumikit ung pinaka carbon fiber ng pabango dun sa plastic na nasunog.tapos nabilad sa araw.nagkakaroon talaga siya ng chemical reaction.sa akin nga tumagilid ung lata tapos kumatas ung pinaka liquid niya sa center console.ayun natunaw din ung kinatasan niya sa init ng araw..

8. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Spilled some liquid air freshener on the HU because it was clipped onto the center air vents. Nangulubot ang plastic after a few days and may stain marks kung saan sya dumaan. Since then we stuck to the scented dehumidifiers placed under the front seat. IMO mas effective and di masakit sa ilong.
    I'll give dehumidifiers a try. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    I'll give dehumidifiers a try. Thanks

9. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jaypee10 View Post

Bro I think ganyan na nga nangyari in my case. Cause usually I place in dun sa cup holders. Kaya nga lang there were several times wherein rumble na sila dun sa isang lugar near the gear shift. Pwedeng naka sideways sya or nadaganan ng remote and cellphone.

Quote Originally Posted by jaypee10 View Post

Bro I think ganyan na nga nangyari in my case. Cause usually I place in dun sa cup holders. Kaya nga lang there were several times wherein rumble na sila dun sa isang lugar near the gear shift. Pwedeng naka sideways sya or nadaganan ng remote and cellphone.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Nagyari naman sa akin natuklap yung part na natuluan nang car freshener na liquid type. Kaya ingat talaga, may alcohol yan and due to heat, puwede nga na maka-sunog or melt nang plastic imho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast