New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bxr monkey View Post
    Sa stockyard ng casa, iyong mga rims/mags may plastic na film/"cling-wrap" para hindi talsikan ng ulan at kalawangin ang disc brakes.

Puwede kaya spray ng WD40 sa disc brake para same effect? Or may mas okay na spray para dito?

Sasakyan namin naka open parking. Ngayong tag-ulan puro talsik at makapal na ang kalawang sa disc brakes. Bihira din gamitin, kaya hindi na "sand-off" ang kalawang.
    i think it's a bad idea.
    even if WD40 offers only the barest minimum of so-called 'lubrication', it may still be enough to make you lose braking power, resulting to bumper damage.
    if the opposite happens naman, that is, the brake rotor surface becomes 'grabby', it'd be an uncomfortable drive until the layer strips off.

kinakalawang yung disc brake rotor?
    i wouldn't worry about it.
    the amount of rust formed is so minimal, it will take many years and many tens of thousands of kilometers, for them to become replacingly thin.
    and it's so easy to clean them! the thin layer of rust is completely removed after two or three mild applications of the brake pedal.
    Last edited by dr. d; September 12th, 2021 at 03:11 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    surfing old posts, i saw this.

then it came to me,
    in the olden days, we would use kerosene (gaas!) to de-grease and clean bicycle chains and other automotive parts.

when we were kids, dad would teach us to degrease and clean our bicycle chains, using kerosene and paintbrush.
    this activity actually prepared us for the more-daunting acts of degreasing and cleaning our cars' parts later on in life.
    I also remember back then wala brake fluid ang gamit ni erpat para palambutin ang kinalawang na nut para maipihit.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gongrhey View Post
    I also remember back then wala brake fluid ang gamit ni erpat para palambutin ang kinalawang na nut para maipihit.
    we used to use light machine oil, i.e., singer sewing machine oil.
    dad would lather it on, then take a coffee brake while the oil penetrates, and come back after some minutes to an hour.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Puwede kaya spray ng WD40 sa disc brake para same effect? Or may mas okay na spray para dito?
    Not the best solution to your problem, for two things:
    1. Brake pads are porous materials and can absorb oils and reduce its effectiveness. A little oil contamination will likely be alright, but still, never a good idea to actually spray them with it.
    2. I have tried using WD40 to prevent surface rust (on my chrome drum set a long time ago) and it barely works to protect it. What is effective is to use WD40 with Scotch pad to remove surface rust on chrome and metal surfaces. In this application, WD40 works as a lubricant and detergent.

It's still best to drive your car around the block every now and then to clear up those rust build-up.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Spray oil? ... on brakes? ...

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Why not use brake cleaner on brake pads and discs? Mura lang naman yun.

I don’t mind the rust on the brake discs specially if you park your car outside. It will just rub off once you use the car. Unless of course, the car has not been used for months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Salamat dr. d oj88 Egan101. Hindi din pala kabilis ma wipe off ang wd40 sa brakes. Nawala din sa isip ko na porous ang brake pads at maka absorb ng fluids.

Naisip ko nga sa normal service pinapaliguan ng brake cleaner ang rotors at drums. Pero naka baklas pala pads noon, at ni wipe off after.

After mga 2 weeks kasi ng ulan sa labas. Nakaka ilang kilometers muna bago mawala ang kaskas na sound ng rusted rotors tuwing brake application.

Mas frequent nga siguro i ikot ang sasakyan.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Salamat dr. d oj88 Egan101. Hindi din pala kabilis ma wipe off ang wd40 sa brakes. Nawala din sa isip ko na porous ang brake pads at maka absorb ng fluids.

Naisip ko nga sa normal service pinapaliguan ng brake cleaner ang rotors at drums. Pero naka baklas pala pads noon, at ni wipe off after.

After mga 2 weeks kasi ng ulan sa labas. Nakaka ilang kilometers muna bago mawala ang kaskas na sound ng rusted rotors tuwing brake application.

Mas frequent nga siguro i ikot ang sasakyan.
    don't mind the kaskas.
    basta hindi mahina ang breaks, ok na yan.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Sometimes the rust can cause the rotor/drum to seize up. People familiar with this would hear a loud "tug" as you start moving the vehicle. It can be unnerving the first time you experience it.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Sometimes the rust can cause the rotor/drum to seize up. People familiar with this would hear a loud "tug" as you start moving the vehicle. It can be unnerving the first time you experience it.
    it was a bit un-nerving, the first time it happened to me.
    kaunting urong-sulong lang, to dislodge it.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
wd 40