New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    what if maliit lng ang gap like 8mm mag ka hard starting bah sa umaga?

ask lng po.. friendly replies lang.. thanx!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    up!

3. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    clearance won't affect starting too much but you'll notice a roughness in the engine if you set it too tight.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    what's the correct temperature of adjusting it? engine warmed up or cold?

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    AFAIK, it should be set with engine cold

6. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    yup dapat cold.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Sir:

Naadjust din po ba ang valve ng corolla gli (1994)? Pinacheck ko kasi sa mekaniko malapit sa amin sabi nya self adjusting daw yun? (d ko po kc alam pagdating sa engines).

Medyo may ingay na kasi ang engine (tapping noise sa valve cover) lalo na pag bago start pag umaga? pero pag uminit, nabawasan na or after a long drive, pagdating sa destination , tahimik na din. Kaya kung minsan, pag dinadala ko sa mga reputable shops, hindi nila madiagnose ng maayos dahil tahimik na tahimik.

Wala din naman po usok ang engine, and the it performs well. Yun nlang po, medyo nakakainis at nakakabahala pag start sa umaga. Ano po ba causes nito.

Salamat po in advance.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    gli model (4AFE engine)?

sabi din sa akin dati eh self adjusting pero i doubt it.

reading the manual, it doesnt say it is self adjusting. you can get it to the right clearance by putting new shims of the right thickness. but before you can do that, you have to do a lot of measurements. kinda complicated but i did it this way (better to download a manual first or visit autozone site). just to give you an idea.

do this when the engine is cold

set the crankshaft into top dead center then ID the valves you can adjust.

do it one pair of valves at a time if you have a 16 valve engine (i.e. intake of cylinder 1, etc.)

measure the gap/clearance using a feeler gauge. if the gap is within specs, then do nothing. if otherwise, you have to change shims.

thickness of new shim = thickness of old shim + (measured gap - specified gap)

this means, if ur measured clearance is larger than what is specified, you need a thicker shim for that valve (i hope i got it right)

besides a feeler gauge, you need a micrometer to accurately measure thickness of your shims. you also need a special tool to remove the shims under the cams.

if you are a DIY person, you can improvise. but you really need the extra shims.

what i did for my gl is i have a set of extra shims then by trial and error look for the right shim to install. if i need a thinner shim, i carefully grind the thick shims to the right thickness. took the whole day to to this. of course you have to do this to all of the valves.

find a mechanic who can do this as this requires a lot of knowledge and effort and patience.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtheboys96 View Post
    gli model (4AFE engine)?

reading the manual, it doesnt say it is self adjusting. you can get it to the right clearance by putting new shims of the right thickness. but before you can do that, you have to do a lot of measurements. kinda complicated but i did it this way (better to download a manual first or visit autozone site). just to give you an idea.

do it one pair of valves at a time if you have a 16 valve engine (i.e. intake of cylinder 1, etc.)

measure the gap/clearance using a feeler gauge. if the gap is within specs, then do nothing. if otherwise, you have to change shims.

this means, if ur measured clearance is larger than what is specified, you need a thicker shim for that valve (i hope i got it right)

besides a feeler gauge, you need a micrometer to accurately measure thickness of your shims. you also need a special tool to remove the shims under the cams.

if you are a DIY person, you can improvise. but you really need the extra shims.

what i did for my gl is i have a set of extra shims then by trial and error look for the right shim to install. if i need a thinner shim, i carefully grind the thick shims to the right thickness. took the whole day to to this. of course you have to do this to all of the valves.

find a mechanic who can do this as this requires a lot of knowledge and effort and patience.

Yes sir its a 4AFE engine. Thank you very much. This is very informative!
    Last edited by pentium9; July 18th, 2007 at 09:20 AM. Reason: typo error

10. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtheboys96 View Post
    gli model (4AFE engine)?

[Sir,
    Saan kayo nakabili ng shim.
    * sorry, di ko sure kung tama ang ginawa ko pagreply.
    Project car ko din ang corolla ko. Minana ko sa dad ko. Irepair ko bago ko bigay sa kapatid ko.
    [/QUOTE]

valve clearance