New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Hi Peeps,
    just some questions i have in mind before i go go to an upgrade on my car:

I would like to upgrade my Air intake into a Simota Air intake with racing filter,
    also,
    I would like to upgrade my Stock tension wire into a High tension wire + upgrade my stock (model) spark plugs into a bosch irridium type of spark plugs?

and
    how about strut bars?

QUestions are:
    1. what are the frozen consequences of these upgrades?
    2. what would be the effect of these upgrades? in engine performance and driving performance..
    3. any comments on these upgrades? In this time, I would likely to accept your comments, coz I still have "Dalawang icp for these upgrades"

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    If your aim is to get more performance, you're not doing a lot and frankly they're basically acting as a placebo.

However, if your aim is efficiency a better upgrade would be a tune up with the proper plugs and wires as well as timing checked and spark plug gap corrected, etc.

There has been reports that the cone air filters actually allow more air via larger pores, thereby allowing more dirt as well.

The sparkplug wires are already high tension (strong current passes through it). Replacing them if they're really old might be a good idea if you don't know when this was last done, together with the plugs and a tune up.

The strut bars only help when you really are pushing the car. It's just an extra thing you can do if you want, and if you find some cheap. Otherwise it might just change the handling slightly (adding a front strut bar might make it understeer more - or was it oversteer - somebody correct me on this). But this is usually only at the limit, not for daily driving.

So unless you take it to the track or might start adding more (eventually) I would just use the money on a tune up and getting the car as fresh as you can get.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    If your aim is to get more performance, you're not doing a lot and frankly they're basically acting as a placebo.

However, if your aim is efficiency a better upgrade would be a tune up with the proper plugs and wires as well as timing checked and spark plug gap corrected, etc.

There has been reports that the cone air filters actually allow more air via larger pores, thereby allowing more dirt as well.

The sparkplug wires are already high tension (strong current passes through it). Replacing them if they're really old might be a good idea if you don't know when this was last done, together with the plugs and a tune up.

The strut bars only help when you really are pushing the car. It's just an extra thing you can do if you want, and if you find some cheap. Otherwise it might just change the handling slightly (adding a front strut bar might make it understeer more - or was it oversteer - somebody correct me on this). But this is usually only at the limit, not for daily driving.

So unless you take it to the track or might start adding more (eventually) I would just use the money on a tune up and getting the car as fresh as you can get.
    Long time no chat dude...

yeah you are right, i'll i want is a very good, clean, well performing and well maintenanced engine for my car, coz, since although i have a 2nd hand 10 yr old car, i put it in a stand to make it look as if it was only 5 yrs old or atleast near to a bnew car..

but what if i want to increase the performance of the car?

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Well, how far do you want to go?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mackkcam View Post
    Hi Peeps,
    just some questions i have in mind before i go go to an upgrade on my car:

I would like to upgrade my Air intake into a Simota Air intake with racing filter,
    also,
    I would like to upgrade my Stock tension wire into a High tension wire + upgrade my stock (model) spark plugs into a bosch irridium type of spark plugs?

and
    how about strut bars?

QUestions are:
    1. what are the frozen consequences of these upgrades?
    2. what would be the effect of these upgrades? in engine performance and driving performance..
    3. any comments on these upgrades? In this time, I would likely to accept your comments, coz I still have "Dalawang icp for these upgrades"
    i would agree with mbeige, these are mere placebos.
    the more preferred route is simota air - headers and exhausts.
    forget the HT wire muna as well as the plugs. you can do well with the stock plugs.

Upgrade Questions: