New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    With the traffic we have in metro manila, and even on some provinces, does it beat the purpose of having a turbo timer installed anymore

2. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    better to have it and not use it than not having one when you need it
    question is..how much do you stomp on the gas pedal on a regular basis?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee View Post
    better to have it and not use it than not having one when you need it
    +1. If you can afford one, have one installed. Despite the bad traffic in Metro Manila and in some provinces, you're still going to have the chance to make use of your turbo eventually, not unless you just drive 5 kms thru snail-like traffic at all times and do not plan on taking your ride out of town.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yes, it would still be useful. +1 to the 2 comments before me.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    anu use ng turbo timer? I believe it can also be installed even if you dont have turbo, anung use?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedmorehp View Post
    anu use ng turbo timer? I believe it can also be installed even if you dont have turbo, anung use?
    turbo timer enables the turbo to cool down safely. since the impeller spins way above 10Krpms, it generates a lot of heat and without proper oil supply/lubrication being generated while the engine is running, the turbo will just break down in no time. the timer's job then is to let the engine running/idling on a preset amount of time after you take your keys off the ignition.

and yes, it can be installed without a turbo. but what for?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedmorehp View Post
    Ang turbocharger nag gegenerate ng subrang init, when they operate to produce boost pressure. To counter this, on some cars they are cooled by water (coolant) and by the oil, which is also used for lubrication. Oil and water are pumped through the turbocharger via the mechanical oil and water pumps in the engine. Kaya pag pinatay na yung makina, the flow of oil and water through the turbochargers tigil din. If the turbocharger is extremely hot and you shut off the engine, the oil in the turbocharger may break down (coke) and create deposits in the turbocharger and/or the oil supply and return lines. This buildup of oil restricts the flow of oil through the turbocharger and can eventually cause turbocharger failure. Ang purpose ng turbo-timer is to allow the engine to idle for an amount of time sufficient to allow the turbochargers to cool down to temperatures that will not cause the oil to coke and clog the oil lines and passages. now dahil sa traffic sa atin, where in you are in idle during stop and go traffic, or because of the slowdown ng traffic, nag cocooldown na yung turbo. But in case na you are taking your ride out of town, you can do it manually din by letting your engine idle for a while before shutting it down naman.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    lmao

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    i idle it for a while like a minute or two para sure na di masusunog. ang mahal ng Turbo for sure, lalo na yung sa SantaFe, BorgWarner Variable Geo Turbo.

OK din ang turbo timer pero medyo waste of money lang kung AT yung tranny mo. Kasi i can park the car in idle mode, tapos check ng cp, wallet. check stuff. after that, a minute or two have passed already, so pwede na i-off engine.

useful ang timer kung turbo ride mo(particularly the common turbo diesels) at nagmamadali ka (where-in 1-2 minutes could mean life/death or lossing a job.)

other wise, its an additional accessory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Turbo Timer