New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    my car's old temp sending unit was replaced because it's already worn out . what i noticed is the temp gauge reading becomes higher after replacing the sensing unit with a new one. almost 3/4 (a little above the halfway mark) ang normal reading.

before when i was using the old temp sending unit ang normal reading ng temp gauge is just 1/4 (a little below the halfway mark).

di naman masyadong mainit engine ko pag binuksan ko hood. di naman nababawasan coolant/tubig sa radiator. my water pump was just replaced 3 mos ago. wala ring leak sa mga hose.

temp gauge na ba problem ko? or the replacement part that i got sends inaccurate reading?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    How do you know that your temp gauge is worn-out? What was your indicator?
    I encountered the same before (2nd hand pajero), dash is registering very low temp, about 1/4 just like yours. At first I was impressed kala ko ganoon ka efficient ang cooling system ng pajero. But I doubt if it is giving me an accurate read-outs kasi when i compared this to other pajero I could single out my ride as OUTLIER, namumukod tangi. What I did was to borrow my friend water coolant sensor at nilipat ko sa car ko only to find-out na tumaas nga ang reading. That's the time I decided to buy.
    Kung halfway mark ok lang yun and this time less yun risk mo of running with overheat engine without you knowing it. Subikan mo maghanap nung katulad mo ng ride then isolate mo yun sensor.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    i had to replace the old temp sending unit kasi grounded na and erratic na ang reading. nasa redline sya pag tumatakbo ka pero pag naka-idle ka a little above C lang ang mark which is so weird. its normal reading used to be 1/4 (a little below halfway mark)

the problem with my new temp sending unit eh sobrang taas naman ang normal reading nya. lagpas na sa halfway mark (3/4) which i think is also not correct kasi di naman ganun kainit engine ko.

my ride nga pala is '89 corolla.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    When was the last time you changed water and coolant mixture? What ratio is your mix? Or you may need annual radiator cleaning/flushing?

5. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    The temp sensor is a variable-resistance sensor. To check the coolant-temperature sensor yourself, use a VOM -- or digital volt/ohm meter. I used this to check the resistance of the meter to verify that it is working. With the ohm scale on the meter set to 20k, the black lead is connected to ground and the red is brought into contact with the terminal on the sensor. It should indicate some reaking above .10K (depending on sensor spec). Generally, any resistance is an indication that the sensor is working, if the reading is zero or infinity then busted na yan.
    Check mo rin yun recommendation ni sir ungas.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    how do you know na hindi nga talaga dapat 3/4 ang reading? used a thermometer? are you sure yung assumptions mo ang correct, or yung temp reading ang correct?

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    so if the temp reading is correct (3/4) , is there anything wrong with my cooling system? stable sya sa ganun reading whether the aircon is on or off.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Field Master
    The temp sensor is a variable-resistance sensor. To check the coolant-temperature sensor yourself, use a VOM -- or digital volt/ohm meter. I used this to check the resistance of the meter to verify that it is working. With the ohm scale on the meter set to 20k, the black lead is connected to ground and the red is brought into contact with the terminal on the sensor. It should indicate some reaking above .10K (depending on sensor spec). Generally, any resistance is an indication that the sensor is working, if the reading is zero or infinity then busted na yan.
    Check mo rin yun recommendation ni sir ungas.
    magkano naman yang VOM na yan? at san makakabili?

9. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    VOM - Wag ka ng bumili, marami kang mahihiram nyan sa kapitbahay, yun mga friend mo na electronic enthusiasts meron nyan. Multitester kung tawagin yan ng iba. Yun sa akin nabili ko analog type 10 yrs ago 500 pesos yun.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Sounds like an old problem of mine. It doesn't mean that if the sensor is by the same manufacturer that it will give the same voltage to the instrument cluster.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
temp reading becomes higher after replacing temp sending unit