New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    older cars are equipped with cable type speedometers while newer ones such as the pizza are equipped with digital speedometers. main difference is that cable type is purely mechanical while the digital is a combination of mechanical & electronic. how can you convert ur speedometer from mechanical to an electronic one that can send pulses or data that can be translated to computer language? i have heard of the brand haldatech but since its fia approved gadget, it would cost an arm & a leg. would there be another way around this?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if its diy stuff, you would have to figure out how to generate the pulses from the wheels or any shaft connected directly to the wheels, just one wheel will do. this might be possible with optical devices similar to the ones used on pc mouse, or magnetic devices.

with pulses available, it is not difficult to build a circuit to convert the frequency of pulses into analog voltage for digital display, with proper scaling of course.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pare baka you can get some ideas here

http://orcad.free.fr/xjr/installation_du_compteur_en.htm

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Try getting a surplus digital guage from the surplus yard...Maganda sana kung parehong model ng oto mo. It should have the pulse generator that you need but mind you, it might not be calibrated to your car's tire. So fake ang speed and odometer reading mo.

BTW why would you want a digital readout anyway?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    i want to install a rev meter by rspec. the thing is it will only work with digital gauges. this is the reason y am looking for some ways to make the rev meter work

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    rev meter as in TACHOMETER? If it is then you probably have to settle with other tacho brands that would be "analog" and not digital. Kasi unless you can get the real calibrated digital speedometer for your ride, useless lang ang pag kakalagay mo nun kasi hindi iyon malamang accurate..

just my 2 cents.

speedometer conversion