New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If you plan to change at the prescribed intervals, then the question of synthetic versus non-synthetic is relatively moot. The non-synthetic will start to "go bad" a little quicker, but should be relatively okay by the oil change. I prefer synthetic, but only when I can afford it.

For our weather, 5w is okay. 0w is kind of risky if you're not sure about the engine's condition, as it might be too think. I usually run 5w - 10w on my cars. Anything higher will cause increased consumption and drag on your engine... trust me 5w feels a lot "lighter" than 15w.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    medyo OT: *fedski and peeps, maybe this informative link can help:
    http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

3. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    motul oil for me.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

For our weather, 5w is okay. 0w is kind of risky if you're not sure about the engine's condition, as it might be too think. I usually run 5w - 10w on my cars. Anything higher will cause increased consumption and drag on your engine... trust me 5w feels a lot "lighter" than 15w.
    5w on tropical weather?hehehe.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I've used it on various cars for long periods of time. As long as the temperature range is wide enough, it'll suffice. Of course, I'm not the only person in the universe who uses it.

0w, however, is scary on engines that have too many miles on the clock and looser tolerances. Of course, I've never run an engine on oil that thin, so I can't say how dangerous it'd be... so I'll just state that it scares me.

Others, however, have run 0w40 Mobil 1 here for years with no problems.

Mobil1 user here , only for a couple of months tho from mineral, made the switch during my last service * 20K. So far so good :D

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

What 0w40 mobil on tropical weather?They must be misinformed.I use 0w40 on winter time.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    the first number doesn't really count... that's the winter rating. since there is no winter here it's more the 2nd number that is taken into account.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Correct. It's the temperature range that makes the most difference.
    Last edited by niky; August 27th, 2006 at 01:32 PM.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    right. So ideally it will be good to use 15w50 grade on tropical weather.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Sparkplug question