New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Hi guys,

My lancer's speedometer and odometer has been malfunctioning for a long time. I called up a Mits dealer and one of their technicians told me that it could be due to the wrong spark plugs. A common problem was the replacement of spark plugs using spark plugs without resistors (without the "R").

I don't see the logic behind this. What are the spark plug resistors for? Can they really affect my speedometer/odometer? How do we determine if the sparkplugs we are using has resistors or not?

Thank you.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Yep it could.
    Resistorized sparks as the the name says, has additional resistance before the energy gets to the tip to generate the spark. I think it is usually 5KiloOhms. Why add a resistance? This is to reduce RFI or radio frequency interference that is bad for the electronics in the car(read ECU) that is why an R spark is recommended for EFI or in Mitsu ECI engines.
    On NGK spark plugs, The name of spark will tell you if it is resistorized. BK5E is not resistor and BKR5E is resistor spark. Use only spark plugs recommended for your car to avoid damage.
    so What's Your Lancer?hth

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Huh???

Any decent mechanic worth his salt can tell you that the spark plug has nothing to do with the speedometer/odometer malfunctioning. AFAIK, not only Mitsu engines require resistorized plugs, even Honda & Nissan engines have OEM "R" spec plugs. And those plugs are properly shielded from RF interference. That mechanic's diagnosis is highly doubtful.

Check the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). That's the common culprit for errant speedometers.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    If I pull out the spark plugs right off my engine, nakasulat ba duon yung model number? I talked to an NGK dealer and told me that both the resistorized and non-resistorized plugs look exactly the same. Although in one website, I saw a pic that showed that resistorized NGKs have an "R" printed directly under the NGK logo.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Ang galing! I changed my spark plugs and hindi na nagloloko speedometer/odometer ko for 3 days straight!

BTW, how will I know if other brands such as Bosch,Champion,Splitfire or Denso's plugs are resistorized?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I've used Bosch, pero not familiar w/ its' code (FRXxxx) basta parang ganyan. Kung carb lancer mo (like '99-'00 GLX nameron pang nilabas), kahit di na resistorized yun, pero kung EFI recommended 'to. I think the SP code of NGK for lancer is BPR5E for EFI or BP5E (non-resistorized).

Or you can search on google for the cross-reference of each brand, there are tables given what are the counterparts of it.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by webmiester View Post
    Ang galing! I changed my spark plugs and hindi na nagloloko speedometer/odometer ko for 3 days straight!

BTW, how will I know if other brands such as Bosch,Champion,Splitfire or Denso's plugs are resistorized?
    Speedometer/Odometer ba talaga or TACHOMETER??

I had erratic idling before to the point na namamatayan ako ng makina. The plugs were new, but Migs of Speedyfix said na baka plugs ang problema. So he pulled out a used set of plugs, and voila! Nawala ang nginig, and ok na idling.

Parang imposibleng may kinalaman ang sparkplugs sa malfunctioning speedometer/odometer.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
    Speedometer/Odometer ba talaga or TACHOMETER??

I had erratic idling before to the point na namamatayan ako ng makina. The plugs were new, but Migs of Speedyfix said na baka plugs ang problema. So he pulled out a used set of plugs, and voila! Nawala ang nginig, and ok na idling.

Parang imposibleng may kinalaman ang sparkplugs sa malfunctioning speedometer/odometer.
    Oo n eh. Ako rin hindi naniwala, pero I gave it a try because its a lot cheaper than purchasing a new speed sensor. Sayang nga, Had I tried it earlier, I might have saved a lot since my new panel cost me some money, baka pala ok pa yung luma ko!

Sa mga websites na nabasa ko, apparently, they invented the sparkplugs with resistors at around World War 2, when certain radio-controlled triggers for TNT and bombs would go off by themselves when the triggers were near
    jeeps. They later pinpointed this to the RF produced by the sparkplugs and so resistorized spark plugs were made.

The same RF might be interfering with the car's computer box, especially since these new electronic boxes are very sensitive.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    in my case, i bought my '97 pizza second hand, splitfire high tension wires ang plugs na ang nakakabit. after 2 months nagloko bigla pupugak pugakang makina at walang hatak, so dinala ko sa mitsu santolan(now closed), pag pasok pa lang sabi agad nung mechanik patay isang cylinder, either one of the two igniters or HTwires ang sira, so he pops the hood. then gets his computer and plugs it under the dash. then he stops the engine, gets a spare HT wire and swaps it with my wires, ayun ayos agad... so i told him check mo na din plugs para isang gawaan na lang. thats when he said splitfire din pala nakakabit, buti di pa nagloloko guages mo... may nasiraan na ng guages, dahil dito...mag orig ka na lang, mas mura pa. kung wala ka makuha orig, ngk ok din basta may R nakasulat sa part number.
    Last edited by impulzz; September 24th, 2007 at 12:35 PM.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by impulzz View Post
    in my case, i bought my '97 pizza second hand, splitfire high tension wires ang plugs na ang nakakabit. after 2 months nagloko bigla pupugak pugakang makina at walang hatak, so dinala ko sa mitsu santolan(now closed), pag pasok pa lang sabi agad nung mechanik patay isang cylinder, either one of the two igniters or HTwires ang sira, so he pops the hood. then gets his computer and plugs it under the dash. then he stops the engine, gets a spare HT wire and swaps it with my wires, ayun ayos agad... so i told him check mo na din plugs para isang gawaan na lang. thats when he said splitfire din pala nakakabit, buti di pa nagloloko guages mo... may nasiraan na ng guages, dahil dito...mag orig ka na lang, mas mura pa. kung wala ka makuha orig, ngk ok din basta may R nakasulat sa part number.
    May topak rin pala itong mga splitfire na ito. Ang ganda pa nila kapag binabasa ko yung brochure nila

Spark plugs with resistors and without - What's the diff?