New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Sirs,

I have this ongoing argument with my friends as to which type of configuration is more fuel efficient, an SOHC or DOHC type engine. I would like to know the pros and the cons of each type. Any inputs would be very highly appreciated.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Engines with DOHC heads are more powerful consequently uses more fuel. It usually use more than one exhaust and/or intake valves per cylinder. The openning and closing of valves can be better configured because of the extra set of lobes of an additional cam.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    i remember coming across this site before which can answer your question. . .

http://www.samarins.com/glossary/dohc.html

"THOUGH HOME TO US ALL, THE EARTH IS MUTE.
    IT DOESN'T GET A VOTE IN ANY CONGRESS OR PARLIAMENT.
    IT DOESN'T OWN BLOCKS OF SHARES IN THE MARKET.
    IT DOESN'T RISE UP AT A PROTEST RALLY. IT CAN'T EVEN BUY A HYBRID CAR.
    THE EARTH HAS NO VOICE--SO WE MUST SPEAK FOR IT."

4. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    fuel consumption is not measured by the number of cams you have, rather by the displacement of the engine and what the intended purpose is.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    fuel consumption really depends, specifically, on the engine.

DOHC heads technically have more moving parts and a heavier valvetrain, which can lead to higher consumption, but that can be designed to be more efficient at a wider range of speeds because of the more flexible breathing allowed by the extra valves.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    funny thing is that my friend's 1.6 4g92 (1st gen) DOHC mivec is more fuel efficient than my 1.6 4g92a SOHC lancer, a 2km/l difference, maybe fuel consumption really depends on what transmission you are using because I got matic and he got manual, hmm

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    DOHC...

8. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    driving style, load, rim size etc also factor in. plus how well maintained the engine is.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    fuel consumption is affected by a lot of things. Driving style, the weight the engine is trying to pull (or push), traffic, etc etc

focusing on just engine specs pag dating sa fuel consumption is like focusing only on diet to keep urself healthy (not considering exercise, environment, genetic factors, stress level, income etc)

SOHC or DOHC