New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Mga experts! Pahingi naman ng tulog. My car is an old lancer box type. The problem is, my car is slow to accelerate and even sometimes jerks when i apply gas. A mechanic mentioned once that my clutch is sliding? what does that mean? Is this the real cause of the problem? Does it need a tune up? Hoping you guys can help. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by guildsph View Post
    Mga experts! Pahingi naman ng tulog. My car is an old lancer box type. The problem is, my car is slow to accelerate and even sometimes jerks when i apply gas. A mechanic mentioned once that my clutch is sliding? what does that mean? Is this the real cause of the problem? Does it need a tune up? Hoping you guys can help. Thanks!
    daming factors..

a. carb is dirty
    b. fuel pump is busted
    c. needs new spark plugs/tune-up
    d. electrical

the sliding clutch is a factor but not directly with the jerking while you apply gas.

yung sliding clutch po is ganito:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch2.htm

hindi na dumudikit ng maigi yung smaller part sa flywheel, kaya hindi na ganung kaganda ang acceleration and shifting.

basically, worn out na yung gears.
    Last edited by 1D4LV; March 28th, 2007 at 11:55 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    True, maraming factors so you have to do it one by one:
    - engine tune-up (change plugs, check timing, adjust valve clearances)
    - carb cleaning or even a carb overhaul if needed
    - if your clutch is sliding, you should feel a drag when you're releasing it or it sticks before you feel the engine bite when you accelerate hard.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Thanks a lot for the help! Kailangan nga yata ng tune up dahil medyo palyado yung makina. If that doesn't work, pa check ko na rin yung clutch. Thanks ulit!

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Update lang po. I had my car checked after reading your replies. It needs a tune up as you guys suggested. Thanks ulit for the help. I'm learning a lot from you guys.

slow acceleration