New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Hello peeps! Question lang about this car.

While moving on low revs, the engine runs smoothly. On high revs, I notice that the engine cuts in and out. Parang palyado, hirap tumakbo, may hesitation yung engine to accelerate.

This is prominent when you step on the accelerator a little too deep. When you let it go a little, ok naman sya. I already had the following done:
    - Changed Spark Plugs (Nippon Denso K20PR)
    - Change Oil
    - Change Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Oil Filter
    - Change ATF (although this has no connection to the problem, had it done anyway).

I'm assuming its either a dirty Distributor/Rotor or faulty High Tension Wires. Or maybe a dirty Throttle Body and IAC Valve.

What do you guys think? The car is a 1998 Nissan Sentra EX Saloon A/T, Twin Cam, 1.4L, 16V, Fuel Injected.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    you might want to do the ff:
    -ignition timing check, it might be advanced. Maybe retarding it two degrees would cure your problem.
    -fuel pump, it might be starting to fail (?)
    -have your fuel tank cleaned. Its possible that dirt in your fuel tank is clogging up your fuel intake.
    -fuel injector cleaning.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    probably a timing issue, as GH said. i have a similar problem, above 3000rpm my engine misfires continuously because the ECU is not retarding the timing (busted crank sensor). so in your case retarding the timing would reduce this effect (it would happen at higher rpm, or perhaps never at all..)

problem is i think this will reduce engine power significantly particularly at idle. not sure though..

4. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Thanks ghosthunter and orly for your suggestions. I will give it a try. I'll update this thread for any developments.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Try to check your plugs again as well... Nissans use NGK BKR6E's or BKR5E's.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Thanks vinj, I'll give it a try too. So far, I had the tank and fuel lines cleaned, fuel pump checked and strong. Also re-adjusted the timing. Problem remains. I will check other options like the ones suggested here. THANK YOU!

7. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    I think it was a case of spark plug compatibility. I changed from Denso K20PR to NGK BKR5E. So far so good. Thanks for your suggestions!

Sentra EX Saloon Question