New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Hello! My car, an Innova 2012 gas, M/T, with 41000km at the odo, casa maintained, makes this high pitched sound when starting in the morning. I brought this already to the dealer and they replaced a bearing (forgot where) and the belt tensioner. They also checked the starter and belt (all intact) and yet the problem remains. I recorded a video of the startup since Toyota could not reproduce it at their service shop.

Any ideas on what can be causing this? Noise appears only when the engine is cold and only at startup. Here's a link to a video of the actual start with the noise.

Car is still with the dealer at this time as they will try to reproduce the sound.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    I assume your aircon is in "off" when you started with the cold engine in the video ? Does the noise disappear as the engine warms up ?

Ask them to check (and replace) all pulleys (idler, tensioner, aircon, alternator, crankshaft, power steering, etc...)

Of course, its expensive for them but they should replace all abovementioned pulleys (complete assemblies and not just the bearings inside) until the squealing stops.

As a way of diagnosing the problem, start your cold engine and with a spray bottle, try spraying some water bet. the different spinning pulley and the belt, to see if the squeal will temporarily dissipate. If the noise temporarily disappears then it could be a problem with that particular pulley.
    Last edited by number001; August 29th, 2013 at 11:57 PM.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    one possibility is the idler pulley. spray wd40 on its bearing and if the noise disappears, that confirms the idler culprit. the noise will return in 1-2 weeks. replace it na lang.
    another possibility is, the belt is loose. tighten it and see if the noise disappears for good.
    then there are the other pulleys to inspect...

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Update ko lang to.

During the car's PMS yesterday, I asked the dealer to change the belt. At first they declined saying nothing's wrong with it and that I should leave the car again for a couple or so days for their observation since the sound was intermittent and when it appears it only appears on cold start-up. I insisted they change the belt anyway just to remove it as the probable cause. Belt's not covered by warranty so I have to pay the cost. Good thing they gave me a discount. Besides I can't leave the car again that long.

(By the way, the parts they replaced before were: idler and belt tensioner. Yes, the noise disappeared after around 10 seconds after cold start-up and Yes, ACU is off always when I start the car. I think noise was related to moisture or temperature on the belt but I have no proof of this.)

This morning with the new belt fitted, when I started the car cold, no squealing or screeching was heard. It's early to jump to conclusion so I'll observe this for several more days. If the unwanted sound disappeared, then the culprit was the belt all along.
    Last edited by CtrlAltDel; September 12th, 2013 at 10:25 AM.