New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    an option which you might consider if you don't mind the price is lexan. this material is used on the canopies of F16 fighter aircraft that can withstand high speed wind load and is about 8 times lighter. the very same material used in gargoyles sunglasses that could stop a .38 caliber bullet

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    an option which you might consider if you don't mind the price is lexan. this material is used on the canopies of F16 fighter aircraft that can withstand high speed wind load and is about 8 times lighter. the very same material used in gargoyles sunglasses that could stop a .38 caliber bullet
    ...but to stop a .38 bullet, it would have to be an inch thick. Plus it scratches easily.

Stick to glass...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Alam ko bawal na ang tempered glass for the windshield. All new cars use laminated glass for the windshield.

Also, walang depreciation ang windshield as per insurance.

If kaya mo mag OEM, dun ka na. Lahat yata ng non-OEM windshields made in China na. XYZ pa yata ang common brand.
    Signature

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    ...but to stop a .38 bullet, it would have to be an inch thick. Plus it scratches easily.

Stick to glass...

for the u.s. military in the middle east combat zone, the ballistic glasses is a standard issue and is not inch thick. i have one myself. as far as scratches, if it scratches the way you wash your car's paint, of course it will scratch the lexan but less. i feel sorry for our troops if they have 1/4 of the thickness of the u.s. presidential limousine

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    Alam ko bawal na ang tempered glass for the windshield. All new cars use laminated glass for the windshield.

If kaya mo mag OEM, dun ka na. Lahat yata ng non-OEM windshields made in China na. XYZ pa yata ang common brand.
    Sana nga walang depreciation ang windshield. Kung oo, mag Toyota OEM na lang ako. anyway 3K participation lang ang magiging gastos ko sana.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005

Sana nga walang depreciation ang windshield. Kung oo, mag Toyota OEM na lang ako. anyway 3K participation lang ang magiging gastos ko sana.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    as per wikipedia, windshields since 1919 to present are made of laminated glass, i.e.: cellulose laminated between two glass panels, never of tempered glass.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post

Stick to glass...

google official ballistic eyewear test

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by miso_honi View Post
    as per wikipedia, windshields since 1919 to present are made of laminated glass, i.e.: cellulose laminated between two glass panels, never of tempered glass.
    Cars with model years below 1990s use tempered glass as windshields. You can verify this by looking closely at the windshield. If it has vertical rainbow lines, it's tempered.
    Signature

10. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Cars with model years below 1990s use tempered glass as windshields. You can verify this by looking closely at the windshield. If it has vertical rainbow lines, it's tempered.

do these windshields shatter completely in front of the driver? i have never seen windshields shatter this way. not rear "windshields", they are called rear windows

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Safety Laminated Glass or Tempered Glass