New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Help naman. Ang ingay ng tires ko. I hear every bump on the road and its driving me crazy. I already deadened my front doors pero di pa ko happy. How can I reduce road and tire noise?

Thought of dynamat but it will be very expensive. Car is a minivan so will need a lot! Plus its heavy and not good for FC. May alternative material ba na di mahal at di mabigat? Changing tires not an option, still new with less than 15,000 kms on them. Sayang.

Will undercoating help?

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Well they say that if you fill-up your tires with Nitrogen it can 'mute bumps'.

Undercoating may do little help since the coat may never be thick enough to actually muffle the outside noise.

HTH.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    That dynamat is expensive, yes. Costs ~4k to do two doors (inside and outside panel.)
    Heavy- not really. It's as heavy as 3M mats at the most IMO.

we'll you've already mentioned the source of your problem- it's the tires =). what tires are u using? I have michelin xm1s (on a sedan, not a van though) and at >60kph speeds, noise is pretty much from the wind and not from the tires.

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    Depends on the performance, some tires are designed to provide both good grip and high tolerance to wear and tear at high speed. Those tires your using are slightly harder, and the grooves on them are what emit the sound, the sound will go down as you use them.

Some tires are actually soft, and provide a lot more grip, they are actually slightly sticky when they are new, and that also causes some noise as you run them newly. Also, give them some time, and the noise will lessen.

However, as a precautionary measure… check if your bearings are not worn out! A simple check that you could do your self, is to jack up your car, and spin your wheel in the air. If it spins smoothly with no grinding noise, then the bearing is fine. If not, and there is a noticeable grinding noise, then you will have to change your bearings ASAP, especially if you drive fast! Now, if really bothers you a lot......change it.

Check the proper inflation also, its embeded on the side wall of your tire or follow car manufacturer's recommended.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    1. naka nitrogen na and just had it refilled last tue 34 psi as per car manufacturers recommendation.
    2. using michellin energy mx1
    3. Noise is most evident when driving over concrete. I hear the bumbs on the road and the noise of the tire going over the pavement. When over asphalt, its pretty quiet.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    fixed na. turned out i had loose shock mounts. tightened them down and all is well.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    fixed na. turned out i had loose shock mounts. tightened them down and all is well.
    ang galing naman! a great DIY job!
    I think I will have to have my front shock mounts checked, been experiencing road irritating road noise din eh.

Thanks!

reduce road noise