New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Recommend a RWD Differential

Hello, all.

I have a project car that is being built from the ground-up. The rear axle will be a de-dion design (the differential will therefore be mounted on the chassis, reducing unsprung weight).

Most likely, it will be mated to a 4AG-E engine/T50 transmission. Car will be very light (estimated 600kg).

What's a good RWD Differential to use?

Criteria:

1. Locally/easily available, and therefore relatively inexpensive (i.e., pls don't point me to super-duper differential from an EVO that would cost me an arm and two legs);
    2. Can take power from 4AG-E
    3. The lighter the better
    4. LSD a big plus, but not required
    5. Easily serviceable (parts availability/compatibility) in case it goes bonkers.

What RWD differential should I be on the lookout for? And can you point me in general directions where I can find such a beast? And finally, how much do you think it would be?

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you are willing to do a major differential "face-lift" with cut-and-weld I would recommend the LSD diff of the Nissan Frontier (or terrano) this should be available on Capalanga (chop-chop haven in Apalit Pampanga) or on most surplus importer chop-chop shops....do you have any gear ratio in mind?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Haaaaay, salamat, may sumagot din!!! Thanks Wildthing!

Well, considering that the 4-AG is a nice high revving engine, siguro mga 4+ na ratio. 4.1, 4.3, 4.44... preferably the 4.44.

Hmmm... that's not a bad idea, the cut-and-weld. Remember, this is a car built from the ground up, so "Frankensteining" the car is what it's all about... Looks like I'll be making a visit to Pampanga... Er... can you tell me how to get there?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    actually this is a chop-chop haven of legal and (rumored lang) illegally acquired parts. Si KIMPOY (also from this board) have a suki na dito and have assisted a lot of tsikot peeps na rin. He frequents the place (dati) every thursday. When you go there don't dress up like a rich guy (a pambahay na t-shirt and short should be a good disquise)...price quote to you would surely go up...also probably bring your oldest looking ride instead of a brand new looking one.

Two ways to get there...from PULILAN exit (coming from manila) turn left toward McArthur hi-way - Calumpit area (this is the last town of bulacan). Turn right going to Sn Fernando. You would pass by the Calumpit market (on your right). The next town is already Apalit (Capalanga). Just ask around where to get differentials...iba-ibang bahay would have different specialities (ex doors, hoods, etc).

The other route is via Sn Simon exit. Turn left towards McArthur again and then on the T-section turn left towards Apalit town proper. You would be passing Apalit town proper first before reaching Capalanga.

Highly recommended that you bring along somebody familiar with negotation with these sellers (its like buying in Quiapo/Divisoria)...price vary so much base on how you haggle.

Also try to look around metro manila surplus shops (there is one in Marikina along Bayan-bayanan after Roosevelt College going to Sn Mateo) that specialize in 4x4s or pick-up. Terano yung nakita ko duon dati.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Okay!!! Mukhang mamasyal ako sa Pampanga!

Thanks a lot, wildthing! Kung matapos ang project ko (eherm... siguro at least one year)... I'll let you be among the first ones to ride.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    cge pakopya ng config ha...merun din akong project dito with me (mag to-two years na nga e)...hangang ngayon plano pa rin....Starlet 81' on 4K engine stock pa....

Ang dream plan mods ko ay pang WRC config specs (kung uulan ng pera)...2 liter engine with 200hp+ output), tapos AWD, semi-auto tranny, power steering, all-disk brake with ABS.....

libre naman mangarap eh!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Well, I'm planning a Lotus 7 replica (2 seater, no roof -- but let me see, baka hindi natin kayanin ang araw, eh). I have detailed plans from a book and various internet sources.

How to Build Your Own Sports Car and Race It, by Ron Champion (check na lang in either www.amazon.com or www.amazon.co.uk). Kung gusto mo, photocopy mo ng buo, okay lang sa akin.

What I like about it:

Space Frame Chassis
    Superb handling (Caterhams and Westfields are known to leave behind Ferraris and Porsches on a track)
    Fantastic Power-to-Weight Ratio (estimated weight of vehicle is about 600kg).

What I don't like about it: the looks... masyadong British. But the more I look at my copy (of the book) and various internet sources, it kinda grows on you.

Total Budget: P150-200k

Actually, kaya naman less than P100k, but siguro 12R na lang engine... heheh... pero okay pa rin in terms of handling.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    lotus 7 maganda yan....simple lang ang design....lo-profile and kool.

lagyan mo na lang ng canvas top a pede mong i-top down as needed para hindi mainit. 12R should also be good - simple and easy to manipulate manually, but I'm not sure about parts availability ng engine kung madali pa.

Ung P150k budget should be very realistic...yan din ang estimate cost ko sa starlet ko.

Next time, kontakin kita about the plans photocopy...medyo busy ang month ko na ito...hindi ako makabyahe ng manila.

Recommend a RWD Differential