New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Guys, please help me diagnose the problem on my car. When im on REVERSE i can hear a (clak, clak, clak) sound on the engine bay area of my car-90 corolla gl. Though the sound is not constant, it's more pronounced on uneven/rough road, but not present when the car is on forward direction. I've already changed the shocks. I suspect the CV joints, ball joints and bushings. What do you think?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    m/t ba iyan? have you tried checking your gear oil level?

3. Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Try to have someone checked your engine support. Same thing happened to me with my GLi. Found out that 2 of my engine support had cracks.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by conzky
    Guys, please help me diagnose the problem on my car. When im on REVERSE i can hear a (clak, clak, clak) sound on the engine bay area of my car-90 corolla gl. Though the sound is not constant, it's more pronounced on uneven/rough road, but not present when the car is on forward direction. I've already changed the shocks. I suspect the CV joints, ball joints and bushings. What do you think?
    Please try first to remove all the things found on your trunk. Possible that you have place something like tools found on the trunk floor that can cause that sound. Then ask your mechanic to check the suspension system and engine support on your car.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yes... check ur engine support

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    better yet punta ka na kay Sir Toti (Zee) expert sila sa mga ingay na ganyan!!!

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Hi guys, thanks for your replies. I checked the engine supports and one of them has a crack alright, but granting its the one that causes the noise, why is it that it only occurs when Im on reverse?Thanks in adavance, again!

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    i had the same problem. the reason why it only makes noises when reversing is that the stress is concentrated on the engine support that is weak and therefore, foreplay of the mounts is more prominent on the broken support, thus making noise while reversing....hmmmm..did i write that correctly...hehehhehe

Pls help me diagnose....