New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    i'm having the worst time trying to find oversized piston rings for my toyota starlet gt turbo (4e-fte) and i've heard of a process which involves re-grooving the piston so that you can fit a different car make piston ring on to the original piston...is this safe? i've heard that its also pretty expensive but if its cheaper than re-sleeving each cylinder (about 2000 each) would it be worth it? i've heard of ceramic coating as a solution but i don't know the process, effectiveness, cost and availability of this in my area..thanks

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fksrewind View Post
    i'm having the worst time trying to find oversized piston rings for my toyota starlet gt turbo (4e-fte) and i've heard of a process which involves re-grooving the piston so that you can fit a different car make piston ring on to the original piston...is this safe? i've heard that its also pretty expensive but if its cheaper than re-sleeving each cylinder (about 2000 each) would it be worth it? i've heard of ceramic coating as a solution but i don't know the process, effectiveness, cost and availability of this in my area..thanks

sir, is your Pistons oversized as well?? also, I think you can find another set of Piston Rings from another Toyota engine. as long as you get the correct size of the Piston (diameter/bore) so you can match it. also, you can ceramic coat the Pistons but I am not sure about doing it on the Piston Rings (specially if the Rings are stock quality).

aite, peace.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    you're better off sleeving it imo. since nakabukas na makina mo then do it the right way para isang gastos nalang.

piston re-grooving