New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    info nman guys about these meter. just to shed some enlightenment to some people including me....

a) is this what we call the odometer?
    b) ung nasa blue box - what is that? the kms traveled?
    c) ung nasa blue box - how do you read it? is it five hundred seventy seven OR five thousand seven hundred seventy four?
    d) ung nasa red box - is it the kilometers traveled?
    e) ung nasa red box - how do you read it? is it seventeen thousand and twenty? OR one hundred seventy thousand two hundred six?
    f) if we say mileage - is it in the red or blue box?
    g) the one in the blue box can be reset manually by pushing the button near it (not shown in pic), but how about the one in red box? can it also be reset? is it advisable to reset it?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Hard to know what red and blue boxes you're talking about without pics.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    here it is forgot to edit..

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by X-isle View Post
    info nman guys about these meter. just to shed some enlightenment to some people including me....

a) is this what we call the odometer?
    b) ung nasa blue box - what is that? the kms traveled?
    c) ung nasa blue box - how do you read it? is it five hundred seventy seven OR five thousand seven hundred seventy four?
    d) ung nasa red box - is it the kilometers traveled?
    e) ung nasa red box - how do you read it? is it seventeen thousand and twenty? OR one hundred seventy thousand two hundred six?
    f) if we say mileage - is it in the red or blue box?
    g) the one in the blue box can be reset manually by pushing the button near it (not shown in pic), but how about the one in red box? can it also be reset? is it advisable to reset it?
    b) yup, km travelled yan
    c) 577km
    d) total travelled by the car
    e) 17,020km
    f) red
    g) why not, but im not sure though baka masira ang gear ng meter

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The red one is the odometer (total distance travelled by the car). It cannot be reset. It is against the law to tamper with it. On your example it reads 170,206kms.

The blue one is a trip meter. Total distance travelled since the trip meter was last reset. On your example it reads 577.4kms.

Distance is usually in kilometers except in some imported vehicles wherein it is in miles (roughly 1.6Kms to a mile).

Mileage usually quotes figures from the odometer.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Sir OTEP, can you shed more light on the law which prohibits tampering of the odometer.

I am not in favor of the odometer to be reset or reversed. Unfortunately, a lot of 2nd hand dealers are doing this. Do we have any idea what are the penalty of this action under the law?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    AFAIK, there is still no local legislation specific to this act. At least none that I know of. I was pertaining to legislation in foreign markets.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    I see..pero I think that dapat meron magsulong ng law na ito. Kasi definitely na pandaraya ito. Very valuable information kasi ito para sa isang car owner. It would determine when to replace critical parts of the car before breaking down.

The thing is dapat cguro yearly or everytime mag renew ng registration, maganda cguro i reflect sa reciept yung odometer reading para madali mahuli kung inatras.

my 2 cents.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Some cars present themselves brand new with a lot of problems, while some have so many miles/km but nary a problem. Why? It's all about maintenance. You can judge from the looks and the equipment use (wear and tear) if the odometer has been tampered with. Whether you suspect it or not, always ask for maintenance records.

Basically read it this way. Odometer reading is read xxx,xxx miles or km, while the tripmeter below it will read xxx.x miles. The tripmeter only goes up to 999.9 miles or km, while the odometer can go to 999,999 miles or km, after which it rolls over.

The trip meter can be reset to 000.0 when filling up to calculate fuel economy, or when calculating distance travelled. The odometer, on the other hand, cannot be reset. There will be two buttons usually on the dash, some have one. Pressing one of them will reset the tripmeter.

FWIW, I've seen several cars on eBay that are 10-15 years old yet only have 2xxx miles on them, another had 4xxx miles. The pictures proved it, as in halos bago sila, parang fresh off the showroom floor. Owners were old men if I remember correctly, and both were parked in an airconditioned garage. Grabe!

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    another follow up question, kelan ba umiikot ung last digit na nasa red box?? every 100 ba ng nasa blue box? every 10 ba ng nasa blue box? or sabay sila nung last digit ng nasa blue box ng ikot???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
paanu basahin itong meter??