New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Mechanic recommends oil crankcase cleaning before change oil.

He explained that for a ten-year old car, it must be performed to ensure sludge and other gooey materials that settled in the crankcase pan for so many years will be removed. If not removed, according to him, new oil will become dark in color a few days after oil change is done because heavy sludge will contaminate the new oil.

Additionally, he will check the oil pump strainer if some sludge have clogged the strainer. Sounds credible but with additional cost for labor and materials - crankcase gasket must be replaced.

Practical ba?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nansky View Post
    Mechanic recommends oil crankcase cleaning before change oil.

He explained that for a ten-year old car, it must be performed to ensure sludge and other gooey materials that settled in the crankcase pan for so many years will be removed. If not removed, according to him, new oil will become dark in color a few days after oil change is done because heavy sludge will contaminate the new oil.

Additionally, he will check the oil pump strainer if some sludge have clogged the strainer. Sounds credible but with additional cost for labor and materials - crankcase gasket must be replaced.

Practical ba?
    hey bro, I think for older cars w/ higher mileage.. yes, it'll be practical to do it.

aite, peace.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    if it was never done in ten years, then i guess it's practical to do so now.

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    Thanks for the replies. I'll report the extent of sludge in the crankcase and clogging particles in the oil pump strainer after it is done. Thanks again for your opinions.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    hhmmmm parang gusto ko gawin din to ah kc mag papa ayos ako ng mga gaskets eh

6. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    if you were good at maintaining a service sched then i don't think you need to have it cleaned pa.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    its a good idea , mine was pulldowned this week lots of oil sludge

Oil Crankcase cleaning - Necessary?