New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Has anybody tried doing this? I think this will be equivalent to installing a breather filter and attach it to that PCV valve(?). Because I'm really sick of seeing oil seepage on the tube coming from the valve cover into the air intake, going to the turbo(isuzu 4jb1t)...there really is not much oil there but its enough to get the joints wet I've read about this on the other threads but really haven't seen anyone who actually tried it...any pros or cons on doing this? thanks guys!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Why dont you just extend the breather hose down near the ground so you dont have to worry about getting your ride dirty with oil and grease?
    Last edited by airshaq20; June 14th, 2005 at 05:29 AM.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    you have a point but that wouldn't look too good would it? and besides, the bay is too cramped for such a long hose. it is actually not that messy, its just that when i open the intake hose, there's oil in it, just want to prevent oil from reaching the turbo. thanks anyway!

4. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    I'm really sick of seeing oil seepage on the tube coming from the valve cover into the air intake, going to the turbo(isuzu 4jb1t)...
    you are not alone with such annoying situation. same is true with my lc80 with 1hd-t engine. oil is all over from the valve cover breather outlet up to the air inlet of the turbo. this was what i found when i cleaned the tubing/piping; in fact oil has solidified and flaked at the hose around the turbo air inlet.

so the solution? i installed an oil catch can, and lo, very minimal oil mist going into the airbox. the heavy molecules, mostly, oil and blow-by products of combustion are trapped inside the oil catch can. you need not buy from those expensive products out there in the web, simply do a home-made diy project. search the web and you will will find several diy projects illustrated therein, and get an inspiration from one of them. i am still with the prototype testing stage, but already the results are encouraging. once i am fully convinced of the effectivity of the can, i plan to build one using a 4-inch diameter, schedule 40 pvc pipe, with a capacity of about 2 liters.

good luck.

5. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    as is already quite understood, an oil catch can is a "must have" add-on for supercharged and turbocharged engines; most especially for gas-fed engines, in as much as the introduction of oil and the blow-by products of combustion into the intake manifold lowers the octane rating of the gas, and therefore, enhances detonation. it appears that normally-aspirated engines, whether gas or diesel, do not require these oil catch cans.

some of the available diy projects can be found here:

http://www.neonrick.com/oilair_howto.html
    http://www.turbophile.com/technical/diy_catch_can.html

generally, the volume of the oil catch can is directly proportional to the capacity of the engine displacement. in my case, the plan is to build at least a 2-liter capacity oil catch can for the 1hd-t, 4.2 liter diesel engine. most engine sizes can live with a 1-liter volume.

good luck.

Oil Catch Can