New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    This topic may already been posted before (like with my Cefiro problem) but I searched and I didn't find an answer.

Here's the thing. I know that 92 RON would be sufficient enough to power my lancer Boxtype (4g33 engine) but would a higher RON affect the engine's behavior in a good way(extra power or better response time or something)? Or would I just be wasting my money?

TY po in advance Sorry kung na answer na 'tong question before, di ko lng talaga mahanap

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You wont get more power out of a higher octane gasoline unless you manually advance your timing (i.e.: rotate your distributor for more timing advance).

This might be good for about a 3 hp kick... but it means that you can't put in 92 anymore, as it'll cause running problems unless you return the distributor to its stock advance.

In other words, it's more trouble than it's worth. Higher octane will have a better detergent effect, though, and you can use it for "italian tune-ups", but that's about it.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    do you know higher octane ... means faster burn and more evaporation ... which means your gas burns faster gives you a little hp... and the gas evaporates faster when you are not using it ...

if you want more hp ... change the machine parts not the gas ... unless you dicided to buy a sportscar ...

BAS
    regy

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the reply guys ganun pala yun

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Mga Bossing,

Forgive me if this may sound stupid, pero I saw a Petron Gasoline Station offering regular gasoline for only P40 per liter. Its octane rating is only 81. What types of vehicles use this kind of gasoline? I am tempted to use this gasoline kasi mas mura, pero I don't want to suffer the consequences. Thanks and God Bless.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by banawe View Post
    do you know higher octane ... means faster burn and more evaporation ... which means your gas burns faster gives you a little hp... and the gas evaporates faster when you are not using it ...

if you want more hp ... change the machine parts not the gas ... unless you dicided to buy a sportscar ...

BAS
    regy
    I'm sorry, but this is wrong. High octane does not burn faster, nor does it evaporate faster. It simply doesn't explode as easily as low octane.

Octane is resistance to detonation... which occurs when the compressed air-fuel mixture explodes by itself, without any igniting from the spark plug.

The higher the octane, the more you can compress the air-fuel mixture without premature detonation, and the more timing advance you can run.

More compression and timing advance = more power.

BUT... if you're running the same compression and timing, high octane = no gain.

On cars with a distributor, you can run higher octane, then advance your timing manually for a good 3-5 hp (for your basic 1.6 motor)... which often isn't much more than a little more "kick".

If you don't advance your timing, or if high octane doesn't allow you to advance it very much, you won't get any more power.

On EFI cars, some are tuned to take advantage of higher octane, this is felt as an extra kick when using V-Power or Blaze. Many cars with Japanese market tuning (95 Octane required) see some benefit. Conversely, some cars built to run on regular gas will actually lose some power on these high octane fuels, as they alter timing to adjust to them. Note, not all Japanese cars are tuned for 95 Octane... Some Hondas, for example, seem to thrive on lower Octane gasolines like XCS.

In other words... use whatever "feels" best. There's no single "best" gasoline for all cars.

------

As for "regular" 81, I'd advise against it if you have a car built in the 90's or later. Most modern engines have relatively high compressions (usually 9.5:1 or 10:1) and may eat themselves if you use such piss-poor gas. You could experiment, but it'd be an expensive experiment if your car can't take it...

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    so i guess efi would run better with a higer octane level? lets say XCS.napansin ko kasi sa honda esi (efi)masmganda takbo pag XCS compared sa unleaded ng petron...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Not necessarily. Like I said, sometimes they gain power, sometimes they lose power... it's all in the programming.

But if your car likes XCS, then by all means, use XCS. ;)

9. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    may kinalaman ba ang octane level sa linis?sabi kasi nila masmalinis pag higher octane level kasi complete burning daw

Octane rating