New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Hi Guys!

I just got my new ride. Its a 96 Nissan Sentra Ex Saloon. Car runs fine, needs some body work but it looks ok (Hopefully) When we got the car, the Odometer was already busted (or not working) We'd like to prioritize having this fixed. Or does this need replacement na?

Advise naman po where I can have this checked, repaired, or even changed and what's the usual cost.

Thanks Peeps!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    That's a common problem with Euro cars (have that problem on the Volvo). First time I've heard of it in a Sentra.

Is your speedo working? If it is, I suspect the Odo gears are at fault. Replacement odo gears for a Volvo costs US$50.00 online and is a DIY job (the dealer will not replace odo gear, only the whole odo assembly).

I'm not sure where you can source an odo repair kit locally. I haven't fixed the one on the Volvo yet because of the job's difficulty. Besides, true mileage can always be checked via the diagnostic computer of the dealer.

The least painful way would be to slap on a surplus cluster.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Thanks Sir Otep,

Actually, the Odometer itself isn't working anymore. I don't know if some of the mechanisms just need to be replaced/repaired, or the whole unit itself is busted already. Are there any shops that can check this? I don't mind having it replaced with a surplus part but I don't have any inkling where I can have it reliably changed or repaired.

Any other inputs Sir?

Thanks!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Even the Volvo dealer won't touch my cluster. Palitan na daw dapat. So my only choice for a repair is online.

Try the dealer first. They might be of help. Or log on to www.nissanbayan.com .

Replacing with a surplus cluster is DIY. Just pull out old cluster (just disassemble everything around it) and plug in the new one. The sockets are idiot-proof (they only fit their specific ports). A lower mileage cluster is probably a better choice as you can spin it forward to match your current mileage. Some odos have built in anti-tampering safeguards that require criminal knowledge to tamper.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    electronic odometer na yata yan, baka mas ok na sa casa mo muna ipatanong...kung non-working pati ang speedometer mo, malamang cable muna ang icheck mo at baka naputol lang...kung eletronic baka yung wiring lang ang disconnected.

kung walang display ang odometer, pede ring LCD fault lang.

Merong gauge cluster ang sentra sa mga katayan (Calapanga) or even sa banawe or evangelista...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    You can buy repalcement sa banaue sa mga chop chop sa eskinita na malaipit sa gloria maris. A lot of foot work para maka hanap ng good price kasi marami taga cheapest i found is 1000k meron isa 3k. Nangyari sa 88 nissan namin ayaw umandar ung gas at temp guage puede repair mura lang di naman ako linoko linagyan ng remedyo and it is working very fine.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Check your odo cable first.I used to have a small business for Mercedes instrument cluster . putting white dials on 84-95 mercedes cluster.Usually the problem is the odo cable or the mechanism in the odometer.

Non Working Odometer