New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Went to the casa last week for 80Km PMS, had my shifter checked as well...
    I dont think replacing the cable is the right diagnosis by my SA, knowing na CASA yun, I do expect them to tell me that.

My AT kasi has this problem of not lining up the shifter correctly sa N at D.

Assuming you're looking at the shifter console directly overhead looking down to where PRND21 is printed, these things happen.

Meaning, if you move the shifter downwards (from P to 1 direction) Once you pass R and enter N, the car will be in neutral but the reverse light stays on.

You move the lever somewhere between N and D, it goes off but stays in neutral.

If you move the shifter from N to D, the car stays at neutral, you have to move the shifter somewhere between D and 2 for it to shift to drive.

If you shift from 2 to D or any upward movement, walang problema.

I had it checked and sabi daw yung control cable daw ang problema. Makes sense coz the shifting of the tranny is fine, di lang talaga nagliline up yung shifter.

I don't think a replacement is in order since di naman putol or whatever.

After some searching sa web, most AT has this innards sa may shifter.

As you can see, there are 2 cables displayed and the lower gearshift cable is adjustable.

Tingin ko kayang i-adjust lang eh. Parang kulang lang paghatak nya if you're pulling it downwards.

Any shop you recommend for this job? Looks like a simple (for experts with AT) dismantling of the center console and adjustment. Although I'm sure may technique and procedure sya na specific....

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks a lot.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    DIY job iyan sa U.S. Prone din sa ganyan mga Montero. Pero kahit ako medyo mag-aalinlangan with a job like that. Hehehe.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hehe, bobo ako pre sa mechanical :D

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    i think its the bushing at the end of the cables....

kung cable ang sira, dapat stiff ang pag select ng gears...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just an update so other guys may know.

A friend of mine who's a mechanic (banaweonline) took apart my center console and other related interior trim to check the shifter issue.

Turns out that there's a bar sticking out sideways perpendicular from the base of the shift lever.

That bar connects to a metal o-ring ended rod that connects to the clutch control cable.

Simply put, the bushing that's supposed to keep the metal o-ring moving back and forth from the shifter base rod.

Kinda like a grommet. That's it.

All fixed in 30mins or so.

The dealer wanted to replace the whole control cable which has no relations with the said problem... 7K+ singil.

Need a referral for AT expert.