New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    hi Guys, i've got a Toyota Hilux Surf with 2.5li Turbo-Charged diesel engine. but it doesn't have an inter-cooler. i figure i slap on an after-market intercooler or Surplus inter-cooler fm. Starex would be nice to have better pulling power.

Question: - where can i find a surplus inter-cooler ?
    - what size would be good?
    - how much money should i be prepared to spend?
    - good shop for installation (grntd no leaks)?
    - what about the hood scoop, are there surplus available?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    what no one's familiar with inter-coolers? this Forum sux...
    Last edited by parakitoJDM; July 24th, 2006 at 11:37 PM.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    sizing will depend on what you want from the turbo. if you are retaining stock boost then any moderately sized intercooler will do. you're going to have to manufacture piping tho to plumb into the system. a smallish IC should run you around 5-9k and then the plumbing will probably go for about 5-12k depending on the material (black iron or stainless and the diameter)

expect more lag sa system tho if you install an ic when there was none before.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix
    sizing will depend on what you want from the turbo. if you are retaining stock boost then any moderately sized intercooler will do. you're going to have to manufacture piping tho to plumb into the system. a smallish IC should run you around 5-9k and then the plumbing will probably go for about 5-12k depending on the material (black iron or stainless and the diameter)

expect more lag sa system tho if you install an ic when there was none before.
    thanks SpeedyFix, i was thinking more of like having an OEM like installation and look. so something like a Top Mount inter-cooler that could be inherited fm. some chop shop like Banawe or Evangelista might be able to provide.

actually i don't like more LAG... how to not add LAG and still enjoy the benefit of higher Top End power with the inter-cooler?

5. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    problem with top mount is that you need to facilitate flow of air through it. that mean cutting the hood or putting a scoop. even then it will not flow as well as a front mount IC.

power should remain the same if you don't turn up the boost. the ic is just there naman so you have that option. if you turn up the boost naman you might have to address fueling too.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix
    problem with top mount is that you need to facilitate flow of air through it. that mean cutting the hood or putting a scoop. even then it will not flow as well as a front mount IC.

power should remain the same if you don't turn up the boost. the ic is just there naman so you have that option. if you turn up the boost naman you might have to address fueling too.

what i like about the Top mount is the response maybe better because there will be shorter piping as well as not interfere with the many auxiliaries at the front. but yes there's a problem on hood interference and will need some cutting and & scoop (i think i saw some of the fabricators in San Pedro Laguna).

ang prob nga kasi, pag designed ung turbo-diesel mo na walang intercooler, when you put an intercooler, the intercooler itself will made the forced air reduce/loss its pressure, intercooler itself is a air restrictor,e....

i'm planning to put one on my 2c-te liteace, front-mount or side mount (under my LHD sliding door entry) but, sa piping ako magkakaproblem...ang sikip!

sa piping palang lost na ung boost pressure, pano pa sa intercooler, at baka masmahina pa sa atmosphere pressure pag bumalik na sa makina...so consider mo din magpalit ng turbine for efficiency....

im also thinking if i use a more powerful turbine (so means bigger mass of air to the engine) for my liteace, without putting an intercooler, anu naman effect sa engine ko, without modifying the fuel supply

as for OEM surplus and fabricated intercooler and mounting, walang problem kang haharapin sa part na yun, ang problem talaga is ung effect sa engine...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayz_yummy
    ang prob nga kasi, pag designed ung turbo-diesel mo na walang intercooler, when you put an intercooler, the intercooler itself will made the forced air reduce/loss its pressure, intercooler itself is a air restrictor,e.......
    so since all of the modern TDI (I stand for ? ) and CRDI all have inter-coolers but still good engine response. then i think it can be done. but what is it???

sa piping palang lost na ung boost pressure, pano pa sa intercooler, at baka masmahina pa sa atmosphere pressure pag bumalik na sa makina...so consider mo din magpalit ng turbine for efficiency.... .......
    i think the stock Turbo is just fine.

im also thinking if i use a more powerful turbine (so means bigger mass of air to the engine) for my liteace, without putting an intercooler, anu naman effect sa engine ko, without modifying the fuel supply .......
    probably just more lag. if u modify fuel supply of course u are most likely going to affect fuel economy - for the worse...

as for OEM surplus and fabricated intercooler and mounting, walang problem kang haharapin sa part na yun, ang problem talaga is ung effect sa engine...
    expecting better top end power is a given as cooler air is denser so u create more power. that's the job of the inter-cooler. but i still have to discover/research how not to affect LOW RPM engine power.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    if you don't mind cutting into the hood then you should have no problem.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    it might be possible to adjust the boost via the blow-off valve (baka simple trick lang like the "washer trick" on the 4M40 pajero).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Need Intercooler for 2L-TE Hilux Surf