New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2004
    Good day to all!!!

Newbie po ako to this forum. This is the story of my ride.

The abovementioned car was an "inheritance" from my brother to my wife. He left this country to work abroad 2 years ago. The car was in terrible condition when we got it. The most striking "feature" was that when the fuel gauge read half tank, you have to fill it up right away; otherwise, you would experience a "feeling that you don't have anymore gas" syndrome. He mentioned that he replaced some part of the electrical system and the fuel pump with surplus parts. The fuel pump he put in belonged to that of a nissan bluebird.

I had a bad experience of driving it 2 weeks ago. I stalled along roxas-blvd nr quirino after experiencing loss of power at 1st and 2nd gear. I pressed the gas pedal but could not get any rev higher than 2. I had the fuel tank drained, the fuel lines cleaned, the fuel filter replaced and the ignitor replaced (this was the mechanics recommendation). The tank gauge now reads 1/4 before empty and I can floor the pedal but the same syndrome still persists. Even worse was that the battery I installed only last january conked out so i had it recharged. I havent installed it yet for fear it may conk out again.

Sorry for the long story but here are my queries:

1) Could the cause of my trouble be electrical related or fuel related?
    2) In your experience, what could be the other probable culprit for this syndrome, having done the above works?
    3) Any mechanic you can recommend to do the work and the estimated budget for this? I live in the LP area.

I wish I could dispose of the car but I'm not the owner so thats out of the question Hoping to hear from you guys the soonest!!!

PEACE !!!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Congrats on your Sentra!
    Stop by n visit http://www.nissanbayan.com/forums/index.php a forum for Nissan Owners here in the PI..maybe you can get some help from other B13 owners. There's also shops recommended by them there that they go to for Nissan Sentra problems.

When I first got mine, we had to fix ALOT of things. Aircon, alternator, fuel pump, starter, exhaust, and the list grew. Neways, it all depends on the first owner, if they took care of the car. I hated mine at first because it would always die on me, but i grew to love it. Maintenance is key. Your B13 can be a reliable car though.

I actually experienced a similar problem you had with the engine not wanting to go above 2k rpm. Mine didnt wanna go above 2500RPM..and it would sometimes stall..especially when reversing.So I took it to a family member of mine. We left the engine running, then pressed down on plugs. There's a plug that connects to the air intake. I pressed down on it, and the engine sounded better. The problem was a loose connection, so we just tightened it and the engine now goes above 2500RPM. I hope that helps.

But please visit NissanBayan for shop recomendations as well. Your B13 gives me memories when I first got my 92 Sentra 2yrs ago..the headaches!!..because it wasnt maintained well by the 1st owner. Goodluck with your Sentra bro.

3. Join Date
    May 2004
    Thank you very much sir KrisKros!!! Could you give me the location where this plug you described is? I'd like to try doing some DIY checking.

Could you also share your experience (if any) regarding my predicament and battery discharging prematurely?

Also, thank you for the nissanbayan link. I'll check it out tonight when I get home.

PEACE!!!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    One thing i'd look at is to change the fuel pump to a proper one for the Sentra just to rule that out. On the stalling, does your car also experience erratic idling (divebomb, etc)?

Try to do first the usual "maintenance" stuff on old GA engines:
    - clean and reground the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor - a dirty, busted or miscalibrated MAF can cause loss of power (car has harrd time hitting high RPMs) amongst some; on the recalibration, the best is to have the CASA help you on this as an unknowing mechanic can mess things up for the worse.
    - clean the intake plenum and PCV
    - clean the AAC (Air Actuator Control if i recall it correctly)
    - check/change the plug wires
    - check for any loose vacuum hoses

There's a list of recommended shops on Nissanbayan... there will also be a meka-EB to be held in Nissan Westgate soon (next week); anyone is welcome to join (just check the board for details).

5. Join Date
    May 2004
    Thank you very much sir vinj!!! The car used to experience erratic idling when the gauge started to read half tank. Whenever you start the car, it would idle at the 2nd line after 1 for about 15-20 seconds, then the engine would sputter and die. When you start it again, it would idle for a shorter time, sputter and die. I had the gas tank and fuel lines cleaned afterwards. Since then, that syndrome had stopped (this is when the fuel gate reads half tank). As a wrote in my 1st post, the tank now reads at 1/4 between empty. The car does idle properly for a long period but when you slowly press the gas pedal, the rpm goes up to 2, the engine sputters then dies. To add to that, 2 days after it happened, the battery discharges after I try to adjust parking of the vehicle in the garage.

With regards to your post, can the "usual "maintenance stuff you mentioned be performed by DIY or do I need to get a mechanic to do it? I've read the nissanbayan forums regarding recommended autoshops but they don't mention of a home-service mechanic for the LP area. The battery has been charged but i didn't install it for fear that some part of the electrical system may be grounded and discharge the battery again.

Hope to hear more from you people soon. I'm learning more about the sentra from you guys.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    yeah, you should go to Nissan Westgate EB in Alabang. It's on the 10th of this month. You can get some tips and help from those guys. I'll probably go, it'll be my first time also. There's gonna be Nissan mechanics there, and you can get free advice and tips and maybe a discount? heheh

About the plug. It's connected to the Air intake. That big black box..if your sentra has a stock air filter. Leave the engine running..pop the hood. Usually i start pressing down on plugs, and if you hear the engine start to sound better or change sound, then that could be the source of your problem. But the wire/plug that connects to the air intake i guess its a sensor. It could be loose, take it out..tighten it..clamp it down for better grip..or clam down the metal that keeps it clamped down..it could be loose. That was my problem, not sure if we had the same problem, but give it a shot.

There has been so many times my car died on me also and I stranded haha. It sucks doesnt it? My worst was after my younger bro's JS Prom in Makati, my car died right before i made a turn on Edsa. Some boys pushed my car to the Edsa Shell Gas Station, and it was midnight, we had to wait til 3 or 4am for my uncle to bring his jeep to tow us all the way back to imus.

My best advice, is find a trusted mechanic. There's gonna be lots and lots of mechanics that are gonna try to take advantage of you. If your car has lots of problems, they're gonna tell you that you have to replace your whole alternator or starter, but when in fact, the problem is electrical or somethin like that. Find a trusted mechanic and stick to one mechanic at best, so he will know your car's history. Instead of switching around to different mechanics. Right now, my uncle does our mechanical work if we got problems.
    Finding a trusted mechanic i hard to do.

U should just let an expert take a look at it. Resolve ur biggest problem first. The battery and see what's up with that. Then if your idling still is figity and erratic, fix that next. Then slowly fix what needs the most attention next. Then eventually, like me, you'll run out of things to fix haha..and you'll know what's NOT the problem anymore. You will learn lots about your car if you end up keeping it. It may give you headaches at first, but, you will grow to love it.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by boy astig View Post
    \With regards to your post, can the "usual "maintenance stuff you mentioned be performed by DIY or do I need to get a mechanic to do it? I've read the nissanbayan forums regarding recommended autoshops but they don't mention of a home-service mechanic for the LP area. The battery has been charged but i didn't install it for fear that some part of the electrical system may be grounded and discharge the battery again.

Hope to hear more from you people soon. I'm learning more about the sentra from you guys.
    Some of it can be done DIY like the MAF cleaning/reground and AAC cleaning but it's better to see it done by others first. Stuff like MAF calibration/sensor check is better done by the CASA with the CONSULT reader.

Also, as Kriskros said, get a mechanic who knows about the engine as i've seen other guys have things botched-up as they didnt know what they were doing and the proper procedure (some even thought the MAF calibration screw was to adjust the idling!).

What you're car is experiencing is something typical of any aged EFI vehicle BTW...

8. Join Date
    May 2004
    Thanks again sirs vinj and kriskros!!!

I had our resident office mechanic take a look at the vehicle and indeed confirmed that the trouble was electrical, more specifically the ignition coil of the distributor assembly.

Sir kriskros, thank you for the invite for the 10th but I have to decline due to a commitment with our ME group.

Which brings me to the question part :

1. Since the initially identified problem is related to the distributor assembly, can this be bought separately as a surplus part or brand new OEM or replacement?

2. Can you recommend reliable aftermarket brands of distributor assembly that are compatible with my ride? The brand new one (OEM) costs between 10.5-12K. A bit out of budget for me

I have asked my cousin who knows a mechanic from Nissan Southwoods to check on the vehicle to solicit a second opinion. Will give you an update as soon as he gives his verdict.

Thank you and best regards !!!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You can look for a surplus one in Banawe or Evangelista; just bring the sample to be sure.

10. Join Date
    May 2004
    Update lang po. I've changed the fuel pump, remedied the battery clamps, and cleaned the tank . No more battery discharging . Had the tank checked when I changed the fuel pump and it was full of rust.

When I started the car yesterday, it started idle dive bombing. I pressed on the gas and then it stalled. After that I couldnt start the car. I changed the fuel filter this morning and tried starting it again. Still wouldn't start. Also noticed a pool of gasoline forming under the engine manifold area. The manifold was damp with gasoline and the lower block of the engine appeared to be wet.

Need your inputs on this problem. Any mechanic who can do home service on this would be much appreciated. TIA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Need help with a 92 SSaloon Sentra