New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Two months ago our company driver met an accident at the NLEX involving 5 other vehicles. One vehicle's passangers were in critical condition.

Our driver was driving a "boom truck" that time and he claims that there was a faulty break system (as usual).

We are now into assessing the accident and serving the penalties that need to be served (if any).

One of our drivers said that the break was functioning well.

Question:

Is it possible to check if the break system is functioning even if we dont perform a test run (for air breaks)? I mean at idle state? There are parts that need to be replaced, thats why the test drive cant be perfomed yet. What do we need to do?

Thanks

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    jack the truck on all fours. start the engine and put into gear, step on the gas while applying the brakes. see if the engine has difficulties turning the wheels. if it does then the brakes are working. also listen to the air tank if it releases air.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks for the info. Will advice the repair shop to do that.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just a thought... If the driver claims the brakes failed, more or less a serious accident could have still been avoided had he been drving with the flow of the traffic (not speeding or tailgating).... unless all cars were at high speed and they stopped suddenly.

Given that the truck had been driving at a regular pace, engine braking would have gotten it down to a controllable level... its usually the speed momentum that causes the vehicle/driver to lose control.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Vinj,
    any article or reliable document that can prove this point? Kasi ito na nga yung sinabi ko sa Mancomm namin. Pilit na pinapaprove kung talaga bang nawalan ng preno. 5 vehicles ang nagkbanggaan in the mishap. Yung critical condition nun yung passangers ng L300 van. Tumaob sa island. Our truck even went on the oposite side of the rode pasalubong sa incoming vehicles.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sir Djerms I hope this helps:

http://www.e-z.net/~ts/ts/JACK.HTM

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Jim,
    Thanks for the info. i'll definitely attach this sa report ko. I'm still looking for other articles though. Meron ba yung may distance in between vehicles sa highways and the proper speed. Also the consequences that might occur if these are not followed. I'll just have to match the consequences that might occur dun sa actual thing that happened that day of the accident.

Thanks

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Here are other links sir djerms pero puro sa US itong mga articles..........

http://www.cabt.org/oct01.pdf
    http://www.trucksafety.org/?contentID=467

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Jim,
    Thanks for the info. Its just sad to realize that almost zero attention is given to vehicular accidents here in the Philippines. Well, in terms of writing and posting articles. Halos wala ako makitang articles about philippine laws or regulations regarding this issue.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the question that will need to be answered, whether the brakes failed or not, is this: what is the company's responsibility in the accident? pag brake failure yan, 100% liable ang company kasi hindi na-maintain ang truck in safe operating condition. pag driver and may fault due to overspeeding, reckless driving or whatever, responsible pa din ang company because it has to make sure its drivers are competent. if driver fatigue, mas lalo na liable ang company nyo kasi pinag-work yung driver kahit pagod na. kahit na madiscover nyo pa na drug dependent yung driver at high sya during the time of the accident, company pa din ang liable.

i don't envy your job djerms. i know what your company wants for you to put down in the report. either way, driver's fault or faulty brakes, wala lusot e.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Nawalan ng preno??