New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    i have a 3.5 year old vehicle with 4 tiny holes rusted out on the underside of the muffler. holes are about ballpen size... although the rest of the muffler still looks ok and covered in original paint. question: pwede ba ma welding repair? consulted with a muffler shop and they didn't accept.

don't want to buy another original muffler that would cost 13k plus 1k install charge and would rust again in 3 years time. i'm hesistant to buy locally made stainless muffler because people say they don't last long or sound loud.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Mufflers are very thin-walled, so welding is difficult. And once it starts rusting, there's no turning back... patching the outside won't help when there's patches of rust and moisture on the inside eating away at the muffler.

I'd rather get a stainless muffler than a replacement mild steel one. You can get a chambered one that will sound as quiet as the stock one, as long as the design is the same or similar.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
    i have a 3.5 year old vehicle with 4 tiny holes rusted out on the underside of the muffler. holes are about ballpen size... although the rest of the muffler still looks ok and covered in original paint. question: pwede ba ma welding repair? consulted with a muffler shop and they didn't accept.

don't want to buy another original muffler that would cost 13k plus 1k install charge and would rust again in 3 years time. i'm hesistant to buy locally made stainless muffler because people say they don't last long or sound loud.

A full stainless muffler will last you for many years. It does not have to be one of those after-market styled fart mufflers. There are shops around that sell replacement stock-type mufflers. If not, there are other muffler shops that can custom-manufacture a full stainless stock-spec muffler for less than P13,000 including install.

Cheap "aluminized" mufflers rust out in 12 to 18 months.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    that's exactly why chrysler products have two small weep holes at the bottom of the end caps of their mufflers. this allows the condensed steam by product of combustion to drain and not accumulate in the muffler. personally, i always drill two weep holes on any new car i purchase the way chrysler have their weep holes

muffler holes