New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Are there any bad effects to the engine?

Also is it bad to constantly switch to different viscosities? like from 5w30 to 10w40 to 0w10...

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Are you trying to break your engine or somethin?
    Yes - its very very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by airshaq20
    Are you trying to break your engine or somethin?
    Nope. Just verifying... I'm doin some research, some say its ok, thats why am asking you guys. Am currently using mineral oil for my ride, its almost 10K kms, am still thinking if I should switch to synthetic or not...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Its ok to switch from mineral to synthetic but there is a procedure on how to make the switch..but switching to a mineral to synth and back.......and using inappropriate and different oil viscousity will damage and may void your warranty.

If i were you, stick with the manufacturer's recommended viscousity..then...make your shift to synthetic.....and stick with it.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    No problem switching from mineral- synth- mineral oil. I've done it with no ill effects. On viscosity- synth can be thinner(5w40) but mineral should be thicker(15w40). I would rather change mineral at 5k km, synth maybe a bit longer if on a gas engine. But if used only for city driving, change at 5k km- even a synth.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jackaroo
    No problem switching from mineral- synth- mineral oil. I've done it with no ill effects. On viscosity- synth can be thinner(5w40) but mineral should be thicker(15w40). I would rather change mineral at 5k km, synth maybe a bit longer if on a gas engine. But if used only for city driving, change at 5k km- even a synth.

There may not be any visual or obvious effect on this but i have to disagree with you. I would still recommend to follow the manufacturer's suggested viscousity. The engineers who designed and manufactured our engines have MORE knowledge than someone who think any oil will do. If we can put any kind, any oil in our engines, they would have written that in the manual.

Since synthetic and mineral oil have different characteristic, mixing them by alternately using synth and mineral wont be a good idea.

Seems like everyone is "expert" when it comes to oil...but....IMO..i would "trust" my car's manual more than anyone else when it comes to my engine oil.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvDetailing
    Nope. Just verifying... I'm doin some research, some say its ok, thats why am asking you guys. Am currently using mineral oil for my ride, its almost 10K kms, am still thinking if I should switch to synthetic or not...
    mas maganda kung may transition period...mineral to semi synthetic to fully synthetic to semi synthetic to mineral based oils to g ive your engine time to "adjust"...sa viscosity as long as pasok doon sa mga nakalagay sa manual okay iyan..

8. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    There should be reason in making the changes, transition is done on purpose of making the engine operates better. If the car is working perfectly fine then the mineral oil at recommended viscosity is just fine. However, should there be some deterioration or the rider might want a better performance then that may be the time that we should look for ways to compensate or look some other alternatives. The higher viscosity oil can be used to compensate for gap in engine internals while synthetic oil is good for added protection but mostly its viscosity is thinner which is why we have to be very cautious in selecting correct oil for our engine condition. Its not an area where we could play on this on trial and error mode.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    so is it safe if ganito:

mineral to semi synthetic

then

semi synthetic to mineral?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennSter
    so is it safe if ganito:

mineral to semi synthetic

then