New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2003
    hi its been a while since i last posted hopefully someone can shed some light on my queries...

a friend of mine is currently in the market for a 124model mb
    what is the difference of 230e againts 260e? displacement???

which is better the us or euro version?

is it possible to take a euro version and convert it to us version changing the headlamps etc ...interchangeable?

what to look out for when looking for the said model???

current market value of 260e?
    230e ? 89 model? and early 90s model

thanks

2. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
    hi its been a while since i last posted hopefully someone can shed some light on my queries...

is it possible to take a euro version and convert it to us version changing the headlamps etc ...interchangeable?

thanks
    Alam ko puede pagpalitin from US version headlight to euro. May umorder kasi sakain niyan before pero gusto niya trade na yung US version headlight niya.

Txt or call me at 09177448113 me if you need MB, BMW and Volkswagen (watercooled and aircooled parts).

Thanks.

Jay C.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    If you really want a US version, just get the US version rather than converting it to the US look. That will reduce resale value kasi since hindi na siya original. Plus, some parts are not easily interchangeable like the headlights (headlight wipers are different if so equipped, and won't plug & play).

FWIW, US DOT lights suck. I know, we have one US version 300TE and the lights on my E-code w123 is better than those on the stock US version w124. 9004 na yung ginagamit sa 124 US version (not H4) pero sa Euro I think H4 na rin so mas OK ang Euro lights. Yun nga lang if it has the headlamp wipers kailangan mo magpalit nun dahil may bracket sa ilalim yon that will not allow either or to mix I think.

Aside from that the Euro version has more power due to less emissions restrictions. The Euro version may also come with other options such as yung cloth/velour seats na hindi available sa US.

The 230e is the inline 4 fuel injected 2.3L model.
    The 260e is the inline 6 fuel injected 2.6L model.

What year are you planning to get? Looks like "230e" and 260e" are pre 1990? May wiring harness problem kasi ang w124 from 1993 to 1995 I don't know if the Euro versions also have this pero the US versions definitely do.

Most of the US versions have all accessories standard, that's the good thing. But a lot of US versions also did not receive a lot of Euro equipment too. For example, the antenna switch on the dashboard of US versions aren't available sa Euro I believe. Those small things add up in effect...

The m103 (2.6L) and m102 (2.3L) engines are solid ones, just make sure it doesn't have headgasket problems. A lot of sensors can become expensive to replace so make sure those are in good shape as well. Idling should be smooth, starting should be smooth walang palya.

See also if the aux fans have been rigged to be on always. If that's the case there may be hidden problems with the cooling system. Also make sure that when fully warmed up the temperature gauge should read at 80 C or just a few mm higher. The OE thermostats open at 80C and are fully open at 87C. The hashmark between 80 and 120 is 100C, the temp should be between 80 and 100 (roughly 90, near the said operating temp of 87C).

Market value will depend on the condition. Know that the parts can be expensive so if you buy something for cheap, there may be underlying problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post

thanks

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    m103 engine has headgasket and valve guide/seals problem.

merc 124body 260e