New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Hi! We used to own a '92 2-door Charade and now we have a 1997 Mazda 323 Familia. We love this car, just have a few questions though so we can better understand how this mean machine should be treated. *wink*

Being a newbie with Mazdas, I hope to get helpful tips from you guys.

1. Reading from one thread about Mazdas, I found out that having an erratic idling is quite "normal" or maybe "common" is a more appropriate term. I also took note of the workaround that can be done....
    - computer reset
    - clean the throttle body
    - change your spark plugs to cold ones
    - tune up

Any shop we can go to? (QC or Pasig/Santolan area) Yung meron mechanic na mapapagkatiwalaan.

Any idea how much this will cost? Just so we have an idea if we are being overcharged. ;o)

2. I also understand that the average fuel consumption is somewhere between 7 to 9 km/Li... am I correct?

Is it advisable to use a fuel saver?

3. Will "rustproofing" be enough to protect the rear fender? Somebody posted a message saying it is prone to rust kasi.

4. Also planning to change mags, any suggestions? Specifications and where to get it. We kinda like to dress it up sporty....so, ok ba ang 15"?

Maintenance tips and advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    first off, welcome po to tsikot.com! :D

and promote ko na rin yung protegetech since they are a club for protege/mazda enthusiasts, you can learn more din dun.

i'll answer what i can.

Quote Originally Posted by Babygurl
    2. I also understand that the average fuel consumption is somewhere between 7 to 9 km/Li... am I correct?
    -sounds about right...but see my next answer below.

-while it is okay, the best fuel saving device is you - your right foot actually, it has to be light, wag gigil :D

3. Will "rustproofing" be enough to protect the rear fender? Somebody posted a message saying it is prone to rust kasi.
    -we used to have a familia din, prone nga siya to rust dun sa rear fender, so iparustproof niyo po siya asap sa maybe zeibart or any other shops that other tsikoteers can refer.

4. Also planning to change mags, any suggestions? Specifications and where to get it. We kinda like to dress it up sporty....so, ok ba ang 15"?
    -15s are okay. rotas are nice and strong, and marami naman sellers niyan, or you can go straight to rota, look for rota_wheels_wrx over at the autoindustriya.com forums. 17s...porma rin, but your fuel economy will decrease.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Regarding the rust problem, just cross that bridge when you get to it. The rust, as far as I know, starts on the inside of the fender, and a regular spray-on undercoat might not reach it effectively. EDIT: After seeing ngundam's post... yah, bring it to a good shop like Ziebart's to be sure.

Fuel consumption varies. Depends on the type of Mazda. Mazdaspeeds get better mileage than run-of-the-mill 323s due to different computer tuning.

Fuel savers are definitely not okay for the Mazda. Don't waste your money.

For info on shops and servicing, you can check out www.protegetech.org , the local Mazda 323 club... the board is very active, and the guys are always very helpful.... and makulit.

Lots of mags fit the 323... it all depends on your taste. It's a very handsome car to dress up, and almost any style of mag complements its looks.
    Last edited by niky; May 1st, 2006 at 01:54 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Is it a manual transm? Change your clutch slave kit every 3-4 years or before it gives you problems.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Being a newbie with Mazdas, I hope to get helpful tips from you guys.

1. Reading from one thread about Mazdas, I found out that having an erratic idling is quite "normal" or maybe "common" is a more appropriate term. I also took note of the workaround that can be done....
    - computer reset
    - clean the throttle body
    - change your spark plugs to cold ones
    - tune up

Any shop we can go to? (QC or Pasig/Santolan area) Yung meron mechanic na mapapagkatiwalaan.
    Speedyfix along santolan (towards San Juan side) can help you fix your problems

Any idea how much this will cost? Just so we have an idea if we are being overcharged. ;o)
    you can always compare the labor charges between shops. You can always ask how much is the labor cost at the gasoline service stations as a guage.

manual or automatic transmission? Our family used to own an automatic 323 familia and typical city driving gets 5-6km/L and out of town trips get around 8 -10km/L.

No. They usually do not work and might even damage your engine in the long run.

dunno, our 323 familia never had rust problems since it was rust proofed when it was still new.

15s are good but the mazda323 familia has a big tire-to-fender gap which looks ugly even with bigger wheel sizes.

Maintenance tips and advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    mura labor sa kia pasay. casa pa yun. problem is, they use mazda original parts, so mahal yung parts.

pero in my experience, pag di na kaya ng mga talyer boys, sa kia pasay na.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    wow, thank you guys! we're going to kia pasay next week. :o)

Mazda Newbie Needs Help!