New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My car uses 4.5 liters of oil. So every time I change my oil, I have .5 liter left. Can I use the left over oil for my next oil change, about 6 to 7 months. I don't like to waste it bec its synth oil. However, I'm not sure if its safe to use. I'm afraid it might get contaminated with moisture or other impurities during the 6 to 7 months.

What do you guys think?

ko, i use it for "top-up" and a good lubricant too..ok lang gamitin yan as long as its not contaminated..

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Keep it in the trunk in case you're suddenly low on oil. Just in the last case scenario lang naman, it can't hurt.

Then if you don't use it, do so on the next oil change. That way you'll have an even amount of oil left instead.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    you can re-use it for the next oil change down the road.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix View Post
    you can re-use it for the next oil change down the road.
    maki-ride na din... I had my last oil change at shell, helix yung nilagay. I have an excess of .5 liters. I plan to have an oil change at caltex naman. will the helix from shell mixed with caltex do any harm? Thanks!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Ginagawa ko ito, basta do not keep the excess oil for too long and make sure to seal the container very well. I use the excess 0.5 liter to my next change oil (after 3 months), kaya yung succeeding change oil, 3 liters na lang binibili ko sa shell.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan_sheek View Post
    maki-ride na din... I had my last oil change at shell, helix yung nilagay. I have an excess of .5 liters. I plan to have an oil change at caltex naman. will the helix from shell mixed with caltex do any harm? Thanks!
    Afaik, you can safely mix oils from different manufacturers. Although, you will not get the maximum benefits.

Not sure if you can mix synth and mineral oils safely.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    better not to mix them unless it is stated you can.

ie.. you can mix motuls 300v line to get a certain viscosity but you can't mix the others...

thy have different additives and the mixture is what normally causes sludge.

left over motor oil