New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    hello peeps, i'm a newbie here. I'm planning to buy a 2nd hand SUV and I'm thinking of buying this Toyota Prado VX with 3.4 L V6 gas engine. A/T tranny. If i'm not mistaken the engine of this car
    is 5VZ-FE.

My questions are:

1) What is the normal gas consumption of this car in city/highway
    driving? In the web, it's posted to be in between 11 to 14 liters per 100 kms. Reliable kaya yong data na to?

2) What are the normally minor and major problems with this car? As I have noticed, there are only a few cars of this kind that are being sold in the 2nd hand shops... Madali lang din ba makahanap nung parts
    nito in case na masiraan?

3) How much ba normally dapat ang price nito? I have seen
    one in AUTOLINK.PH priced at 995K PHP for a 1997 model. Oks
    na ba yong price na to or dapat mas lower pa.

Thanks for your inputs in advance.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    11 to 14 L per 100 km is likely a highway figure in australia and elsewhere. malamang mga 5.0 km/L yan dito sa Manila (city).

autolink prices are generally a bit higher than average yata

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    hi...
    the following are from a US vehicle data. the 5VZ-FE is a 3.4 liter DOHC EFI V6 190 hp * 4800rpm with 220 lb-ft *3600rpm torque. this is the standard engine of toyota 4Runner V6, Tacoma V6 and Tundra V6, its a very reliable engine, i have it on my tacoma and its been 6 years now since the time i bought and i dont have any minor or major problems. the estimated mileage per gallon for 5 speed is 16 miles for city and 19 miles for highway driving respectively and for 4 speed automatic 17 miles for city and 20 miles for highway driving. Parts...the availability of parts is not a problem to me, just go to the dealer for OEM or to autoshop for after market, i cannot speak for the availability of parts there in the Philippines. i hope that this information is of benefit to you...thanks
    peace out
    cale/ vtekluder00*aol.com
    Last edited by Cale; July 22nd, 2004 at 10:21 AM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    One thing I notice from some units, front suspension tend to fail. Yung spring holder ng shocks nasisira. Droop down ang front end. The only remedy I see people do is change them into aftermarket shocks.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Many thanks for your responses peeps.

How about the availability of the engine parts
    madali lang ba makahanap nito sa pinas?

Thanks uli.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Parts are plenty, btw, your getting the better model which is VX model EFI V6 engine. Yung naunang lumabas na local units which are GX models have inline-4 carburated engines. And very dull interiors.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    One last question sir. Yong gastos kaya sa maintenance nito more or less pareho lang nung ibang SUV (ie. pajero, patrol)...

Salamat uli ng marami.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Different brands have different prices on filters, Pajero's filter are known to be costly even with aftermarket brands. While Patrol's filters have cheaper OEM filters than alter brands.

As for Toyota, there are numerous filters and parts for it, even aftermarket brands have its own imitators.

Mura lang maintenance ng SUVs, mas madali pang ayusin. Contrary to most people think. Just change oil on every 5k and other stuffs.

Inputs in Toyota Prado VX