New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    hi guys,

i just bought a '92 Nissan Sentra 1.5 SGX (boxtype), id like to ask you sana of some information since i dont have a manual of it:

1. what should be the idle-up when AC on/off (rpm)?
    2. what's the ideal tire pressure?
    3. what is the appropriate timing (degrees BTC)?
    4. what could be a good engine oil for it?
    5. type of spark plugs?
    6. what gasoline should i fill it with (RON)?
    7. whats the correct rpm to upshift the gear (2000-2500rpm)?
    8. what is its ideal fuel consumption?
    9. what color do you suggest that i should paint it with?

Your opinion or knowledge is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    For some of the answers, you might try www.nissanbayan.com or www.nissanforums.com. There is a lot of info on B12 (box-type) Nissans on nissanforums, I think.

as for the others...

1. I think it should be around 900rpm... not so sure... A/C doesn't work on ours anymore. :D

2. 30 psi, but 28 psi if it's too stiff for you.

3. Depends on gas... the higher the RON you use, the higher the timing advance... best to leave it around 8-10. If it starts to ping or knock (you'll know when this happens... sounds terrible), then you need to remove some advance.

4. Don't put in an ultrathin synthetic (0w to 5w) on an old engine. Best bet is a 10w-30 or a 15w 40 synthetic or mineral oil. Too thin and it'll leak through the worn clearances on that old engine... too thick and it'll kill your fuel efficiency.

5. Not sure. If NGK BKR6Es fit, then they're a good bet.

6. For older carburated cars, as high as possible, for the detergent effect (to clean out the engine... but if it runs fine on regular, go ahead and use regular.

7. As low as you can shift without straining or lugging the engine... this is usually around 2000-2500 rpm.

8. probably 8-12 km/l, depending on conditions.

9. Don't paint it red... because you'll be painting it again in no time... (red cars are more prone to accidents!... just ask me about my old Sentra) ...have the guys painting it look for rust in the fenders and at the corners... as well as in the doors. Better to patch and weld these rust problems while you're painting rather than have the paint bubble up later.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    thanks po for the reply!

follow up questions lang...

1. nasubukan nyo na po ba yung 10w-30 na synthetic oil? hindi po ba nag-leak on your sentra? naka 110K mileage na kasi ang sentra ko, could it still accommodate such thin oil?
    2. sa fuel gauge, i noticed na even if the needle would already lie on the last line of the guage, hindi parin umiilaw ang low fuel light. kelan po ba dapat umilaw ito? and how many litres of fuel would be left when it is lit up?
    3. i dont know if it's because i've been using 93 RON, i just noticed that no matter how i adjust the idling to 1000rpm, it would go below to 500 and sometimes go higher as 1500. and another problem i encountered is the high tension wire would keep on popping off from its socket, shutting down my engine in the middle of the road. that's why i wrap it up with electrical tape to keep it from disconnecting. could it be the gasoline that im using?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    1. 10w30 is not thin, standard issue oil nga ito on many cars, 0w30 ang thin . ok lang 10w30 pero since it's an old car mag-mineral oil ka nalang na mura. 20w50, just make sure to warm up the engine for 5 minutes before use. pwede rin semi-syn. BTW yung mga murang semi-syn oil are ~25% fully synthetic, mixed with 75% ordinary mineral oil.

2. the low-fuel float might not be working well or might be stuck. best is just refill once it's at 1/4th or less kasi baka may dumi sa tank at mabara pa ang fuel filter mo. when the fuel warning light goes on usually may 5 liters or so pa (dapat).

3. i think your erratic idling may be caused by an electrical problem. try buying some new high tension wires. baka yung nag-pa-pop off na wire is marginal already kaya mataas resistance. BTW there should be some cable clips along the engine valve cover where you can secure the high tension wires. oil-covered plugs (caused by leaking valve cover gasket) will also cause erratic idling. and incorrect timing.

in short, magpa-tuneup ka na :D

5. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    ask ko lng kung pwedeng lagyan ng turbo charger ang nissan sgx 1.5 sedan. E15 yung engine nya.

I need maintenance info on '92 Sentra 1.5 SGX (boxtype)