New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    less than 1ft deep? how fast was the van moving? how high is the air intake opening? sorry for your loss... repair is not option as some have pointed

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    surprised too that hi ace cant wade thru less than 1 ft deep. time to check my s. grandia air intake opening.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki13 View Post
    Hello Folks,

Need advise on a job estimate.

This is for a 2012 D-4D HiAce GL Grandia, Manual transmission. Hydrolocked engine - connecting rods bent, one piston could not be removed from the cylinder.

Flood water entered the engine through the air intake system. Approximately less than one foot deep yung flood, hindi pinasok yung interior ng van. Family driver attempted to start the engine multiple times nung namatay ang makina sa baha.

Will purchase a brand new engine (original, surplus not a consideration) rather than having the damaged engine overhauled since we intend to keep the van for family use.

Wala itong insurance, napag-sisihan na at nakapag move-on na. Current concern is reviving the van, hopefully as a safe vehicle.

For the experts out there, which among the items in the quote of Toyota Bicutan is not essential? Are the below assemblies really affected when the air intake system gulps water into the engine?

• Common Rail Assembly
    • Starter Assembly
    • Injector Assembly

Php 201,292 ang total nitong 3 items. What do I look out for to confirm na damaged nga at kailangan ito palitan?

Eyesore item list below! Sorry just pasted from excel. I'm getting errors when trying to attach picture of the quotation.

Thanks all.

DATE.: 9/20/2017
    MODEL: TOYOTA HI ACE GRANDIA

ITEM LABOR PARTS

INITIAL RECOM
    GENERAL OVER HAULING 16,000.00
    1 ENGINE ASSY 422,733.00
    1 ELECTRIC EGR CONTROL VALAVE ASSY 1,499.00
    1 AIR FILTER 10,511.00 (air intake system??)
    1 FUEL FILTER 518.00
    1 FUEL PUMP ASSY 1,644.00
    7 ENGINE OIL 3,150.00
    1 OIL FILTER 450.00
    2 COOLANT 395.00
    1 COMMON RAIL ASSY 38,163.00
    1 THERMOSTAT 948.00
    1 STARTER ASSY 57,053.00
    4 INJECTOR ASSY 106,076.00

4 INJECTOR O-RING 408.00
    3 TRANSMISSION FLUIDS 1,350.00
    2 BRAKE FLUIDS 420.00
    3 DIFFERENTIALS GEAR OIL 1,050.00
    1 POWER STEERING FLUIDS 450.00

1 TIMING BELT COMPONENTS 12,500.00

MISC 2,500.00

TOTAL LABOR 16,000.00
    12 % VAT 1,920.00
    SUBLET 12,500.00
    MISC 2,500.00
    TOTAL PARTS 646,818.00
    TOTAL JOB COST 679,738.00

If you really can't let go of your Grandia, Why not just have the engine overhauled by the casa? If your concern is OEM parts, then casa overhaul is the way to go, OEM parts will replace the broken ones. I'm sure the engine block is still ok except probably you will change the cylinder liners (with an OEM one that is). This way, less paperworks (or possibly none) from the LTO, HPG etc etc and headache will be avoided. This is far cheaper route than buying a brandnew engine

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I stand corrected on what I said earlier ... (checked our Hiace in the drive)

The air intake is located behind the front right headlamp assembly, while the air cleaner housing is located much lower than the front passenger footstep. Its located underneath the floor panels.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    I stand corrected on what I said earlier ... (checked our Hiace in the drive)

The air intake is located behind the front right headlamp assembly, while the air cleaner housing is located much lower than the front passenger footstep. Its located underneath the floor panels.
    whats the height of the airbox filter from the ground? im guessing its above the knees like 4-5 iPhone6s stacked?

5. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    ^ same question as i am curious too with the air filter box clearance from the ground. if lower than the passenger footstep then medyo mababa nga. even so, it still puzzles me paano nakahigop ng water kung less than 1ft yung baha, malamang mas malalim o mabilis ang takbo...

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Kalokohan naman presyo ng new engine.

Its a 5 year old car. The cost to repair will get you a decent 2nd hand car.

Have the van overhauled by a competent mechanic or sell it as is. Cut your losses.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    1. i'd go with a surplus IF i want it running right away. then overhaul it later. or overhaul it when needed.

2. i'd overhaul the engine if it can wait.

injector assembly and commonrail pump assy, why do they need replacing? unless they pumped water (if water entered the fuel tank) then there is absolutely no way they will get damaged by the flood. on the injectors the thing you need to make sure of is that the terminals are cleaned and coated with anti corrosion silicone grease. otherwise they will cause the engine to stall later when the terminals get corroded.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Have the engine replaced / repaired by a competent shop instead of the dealer ... most likely you driver waded through more than 12 inches of flood water ... they normally lie to soften the blow or get away with something ... it's like the SUA issue ... no driver will admit they stepped on the accelerator instead of the brake pedal ...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Have the engine replaced / repaired by a competent shop instead of the dealer ... most likely you driver waded through more than 12 inches of flood water ... they normally lie to soften the blow or get away with something ... it's like the SUA issue ... no driver will admit they stepped on the accelerator instead of the brake pedal ...
    names of competent shops outside casa?

Last edited by StockEngine; September 23rd, 2017 at 08:06 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    whats the height of the airbox filter from the ground? im guessing its above the knees like 4-5 iPhone6s stacked?

Nope.

If I stand beside it, the lowest part of the air filter housing is between my ankle and my knees (calf area?) ...

This is on a 2017 3.0 Hiace. The earlier models may be different.

But in such a case wherein there's a fair amount of flooding, and the air filter cover is not thoroughly secured (or is loose), water will get sucked in the intake.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast