New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    medyo OT lang pero torque issue pa rin..malaki ba diperensya ng hatak ng 1.6 engine sa 1.5 engine..?or the figures speaks for itself which is a hairline of 0.10..?
    thanks

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYarc
    change ur tranny..gearing ratio or final drive but sacrifice $$$KMH..
    this ain't really cost effective for sub-100 hp engines...

3. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    if you mostly drive in the city for max of 60kph, smaller diameter tires. so if you're running on 14-inch rims on 60 series tires, switch to 50 series...or ride on 13s on 60 series tires. medyo tipid pati fuel consumption.

you would suffer though on long highway drives (speeds in excess of 80 kph) in terms of top speed and fuel efficiency (give and take in this case), and your speedo reading would be a bit off.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    exhaust system,intake,hi-tension,weber kaso kaunti lang increase nun..

5. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    A/T transplant jkjk
    make sure that ur engine is in peak condition check your sparkplug for proper air/fuel mixture...rich a/f setting tend to be sluggish response..

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Intakes, headers and exhaust will definitely not give you any torque on a 1.3. Trust me, I used to own a modified one. They will give you a bit of extra kick higher up in the rev range (more horsepower) but pick-up down low will suffer. How much it suffers is dependent on how big you make the exhaust pipes. Too big and you're looking at huge gas bills and sluggish low-speed performance.

Most 1.3 liter sedans have tighter gearing to make up for the lack of top-end. The Nissan Sentra FE we used to own had a more than decent 0-60 kph time, even though 0-100 was unbearably long. But if we're talking about a 1.3 Corolla, or worse, any 1.3 Automatic, you're pretty much stuck.

Just do as I did... work on the suspension and tires, and take joy in the handling of a car that's lighter and more responsive than its 1.6 stablemate.... even if it is dog-slow.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    regear...hehehe

8. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    here is my take:

i see you are to improve the torque of your faithful 1.3? well, first look into the odometer.
    if you see 6-digit reading, maybe it's time to check on your piston ring- or perhaps overhaul. this way you'll gain that lost compression over the year of wear and tear.

or, you could install a low charge turbo. you know, force-feeding. but eventually you'll get short-breath on the long run.

let's move on to transfering all that torque generated by the 1.3. flywheel of some considerable weight can increase your torque being transferred to the tranny. thus, heavier flywheel translate beefier torque at the sacrifice of some horses.

as for the difference of 1.6 liter to the 1.5 liter, well there is a big difference really. i had a direct comparison a while back- back when my family used to own a 1.6 & 1.5 liter displacement in sedan. well, there is no doubt that the 1.6 could topple over the 1.5 in terms of torque, if not horsepower (compare these: 1980 Toyota Corona 12R engine carb engine and 1996 Civic LXi fuel injected). the Civic could out run the aging Corona any given time, any given stoplights- but i love the raw torque that was transferred through the wheels. while the Civic is feather-light, the Corona seemed to carry its weight penalty.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Oh, yeah... forgot in my last post... twin webbers on a 1.3? Bad idea. You get maybe a 10-20 hp boost at the top end with IHE plus twin webbers, but you lose quite a bit of traffic-cruising ability... choke, choke, gurgle... trust me, I'm very familiar with the feel of a small engine with wonderfully powerful (fun!!!!) twin-webbers... and you wouldn't like the gas bills... or the low-rpm sluggishness.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Kung 2E ang makina, may nabibiling 2ETurbo. SMall but terrible. Pero don't expect to kick 1600's asses. Hehe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
how to increase torque