New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Which is the correct way of closing a vehicle's hood, by

1) Lowering the hood slowly until the hook will latch on and press down to lock.

or

2) From a height of 300mm or less drop the hood. This would lock the hood already.

I use method#1 but when I use this method, I noticed the portion of the hood where I press down on to lock, has some small dents.

I'am thinking maybe if I can use method#2 to avoid the dents, but I dont know if I drop the hood like that, it might destroy the lock(hook)mechanism inside.

So, which method does the least or no damage at all? I dont want the dents neither do I want to inadvertently destroy the hood locking mechanism.

Pls help.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    the owners manual of my car suggests raising it about a foot then dropping it

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    me i drop it from a level of around 4-6 inches coz method 1 doesn't work for me

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i drop my hood (roughly between 5-12 inches)...the lock is sturdy, you can't break it. Dati I use number 1 method, I also see dents...so I changed style

5. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    I drop my hood from about 6 inches, thats what my manual states.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    6-8 inches is my memo to all the service shops i managed

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    RTFM

with some cars the manual suggests dropping. with others pushing down with the palm is suggested.

probably depends on the design of the latches and reinforcements

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    what i do is leave at least around a foot tapos bibitawan kona and let it lock by itself

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Never press on it... futresang ineng... I have dents on my hood already because I'm not the only driver. (okay, I'll admit to causing just one of them :lol: )... automotive sheet metal is pretty soft in the area around the latch. I always drop it about 1 foot. Scary, but it works.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    1) Lowering the hood slowly until the hook will latch on and press down to lock.
    ito ang ginagawa ko kase may hood pins pa ako medyo hindi naka align yun hood ng fronte ko eh..

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
How to close the hood properly