New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Hi All ,

Ask ko lang po mga idol. Ok pa ba bumili ng 2nd hand car na 100k above na ang odometer reading? Or am I just inviting an engine overhaul on my first 1,000 km checkup (heh, heh)? What would be the ideal odometer reading in buying a second hand car assuming it had average maintenance? Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Sir, meron na po yatang thread wherein you can find tips on what to consider when buying 2nd hand cars... i'm sure you can get useful ones there.

personally, i would look more on how the car was used/abused. i would pick a car with such mileage but mainly used on long drives/ highway driving over one that's regularly city-driven...reason mainly would be lesser wear and tear on parts like transmission, brakes, etc. brought about by the stop and go traffic here. it's also best if you personally know the would be previous owner.

IMO lang ha...hope this helps.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Thanks Sir BeetOls, will do what you advised. It's because I come across some desirable 2nd hand cars but get turned off when I find out their high mileage. You see, my father's cars of the 60's and 70's had worn engines by the time they reached around 100,000 kms. in spite of proper maintenance. Hindi na siguro factor ang 100k mark ngayon because of better oils, gasoline, and technology. Thanks again.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Depends talaga.

Sometimes you get lucky... maganda yung engine kahit 100k na. Our XUVi is problem free with 115,000 (but that's because I'm caring for it)... but sometimes you don't... my pickup had 50,000 on the odo but needed an overhaul... pinabayaan pala ng former owner, at in-overhaul na siya... mali pa yung gawa ng %$^#*& mekaniko niya!

My uncle's Mazda van (1.8 gasoline E2000... yung kasing laki ng Besta) has over 150,000 kms on the odometer. The body looks like a crumpled soda can, the battery (maybe its fourth or fifth in fifteen years) is going out. The alternator needs fixing and the water pump was replaced already...

But the engine is still in perfect working order. Never been opened, never been overhauled... can still get to 160 km/h. And this is a Mazda, of all things.

All I can say is: check the engine condition very thoroughly, whether the odometer says 30,000 kms or 100,000 kms. You never know what you'll find.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    100,000 kilometers is small fraction if the previous owner taking care that car pretty good. If you fell like that car is wort buying for, I should say why not! My old car 88 Celica GTS is more than 750,000 kilometers and no major problem on the engine. Still running strong.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    If it makes you feel any more comfortable, we bought a used '81 300TD MB with 369k miles on the odometer for $1500. Yep, that translates to 593,xxx km for a used car.

It needed quite a fair amount of repairs to be at par with my '83 300D but could still maintain 135kph no problems.
    Last edited by mbeige; October 16th, 2007 at 03:16 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    i think the key here is to really talk to the owner of the car being sold and find out by asking leading questions to know if he/she understands how to maintain a car. a low mileage car with an owner who doesn't understand how a car is maintained is worse than that of a high mileage car with an owner who is knowledgeable on car maintenance.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    But then again anybody can tell you anything if they're selling their car. Hence the saying, "Buyer beware."

That's why you should look at the car with a critical mind and scrutinize it inside out before you get it. Go for a test drive and see what needs to be done or what feels wrong.

Better yet have a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) by your trusted mechanic.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    pag 100,000 kms na ang tinakbo maski maalaga pa ang previous owner malapit kana or nasa breaking point ng mga parts like velocity joint, aircon compressor, alternator, clutch assy kung manual, mga auxfan( kadalasan starting at 75Tkms up), water pump, tps sensor, power steering rack, shocks, mga bearing at yan na rin time na mahihina na mga motor ng power window at may play na ang mechanism e apat pa naman yan.
    lahat yan ccheck mo dahil mdyo xpensive na parts yan sir at para makatawad ka pa ng medyo malaki! hehe
    d pwede ung ssbihin ng seller na "ganito lang yan!", "mura lang yan" at ung palaging cnasbi ng nag bebenta na "simple at napakadaling gawin yan jan sa kanto kaya yan"

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Mas mabuti na yung high mileage na auto at least alam mo na hindi tampered yung mileage ng auto.

high-mileage car